Apr 26, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Seven days after going on the disabled list with a strained right groin, Victor Martinez returned to the field Tuesday, playing catch and hitting without pain.
“I’m feeling great, man,” he said afterwards. “This is the day that I can say it, because this is the first day I went outside and did something.”
Martinez is eligible to come off the disabled list next Wednesday, and it certainly appears as though he’ll be ready then. Omir Santos, who has been backing up Alex Avila during Martinez’s absence, figures to be sent down to make room.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)