Apr 26, 2011, 7:00 PM EST
Seven days after going on the disabled list with a strained right groin, Victor Martinez returned to the field Tuesday, playing catch and hitting without pain.
“I’m feeling great, man,” he said afterwards. “This is the day that I can say it, because this is the first day I went outside and did something.”
Martinez is eligible to come off the disabled list next Wednesday, and it certainly appears as though he’ll be ready then. Omir Santos, who has been backing up Alex Avila during Martinez’s absence, figures to be sent down to make room.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)