Apr 26, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Seven days after going on the disabled list with a strained right groin, Victor Martinez returned to the field Tuesday, playing catch and hitting without pain.
“I’m feeling great, man,” he said afterwards. “This is the day that I can say it, because this is the first day I went outside and did something.”
Martinez is eligible to come off the disabled list next Wednesday, and it certainly appears as though he’ll be ready then. Omir Santos, who has been backing up Alex Avila during Martinez’s absence, figures to be sent down to make room.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona