Apr 27, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Maybe we should wait until 28 — halfway to DiMaggio — before giving daily updates about Andre Ethier‘s hitting streak, but I’m in a good mood today so let’s start early: Andre Ethier hit in his 24th straight game a few minutes ago with a single back up the middle in the fourth inning of the Dodgers-Marlins game. It’s the longest streak for either 2011 (obviously) or 2010 (Josh Hamilton had 23).
But let’s not get too excited: he needs to do it in six more games to even make the top 50 of all time. Hitting streaks are kind of a pain like that.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)