Apr 27, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Maybe we should wait until 28 — halfway to DiMaggio — before giving daily updates about Andre Ethier‘s hitting streak, but I’m in a good mood today so let’s start early: Andre Ethier hit in his 24th straight game a few minutes ago with a single back up the middle in the fourth inning of the Dodgers-Marlins game. It’s the longest streak for either 2011 (obviously) or 2010 (Josh Hamilton had 23).
But let’s not get too excited: he needs to do it in six more games to even make the top 50 of all time. Hitting streaks are kind of a pain like that.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 27
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)