Apr 27, 2011, 12:31 PM EST
As you may have seen, today President Obama released his long form birth certificate in an effort to shut up the loony fringe who decided to use the citizenship issue to attack him as Some Horrible Other, seeing as though open racism and xenophobia is off the table in polite society these days. There are several baseball implications for this.
For starters, given his views on the matter, Orioles’ left fielder Luke Scott‘s pregame routine is going to be a bit more complicated today. I’d like to see him double down on this and simply respond “I see they’ve gotten to you too,” when confronted by the press, but I am not optimistic that he is that awesome.
More entertainingly, the release of the birth certificate has led many a clever baseball wag to weigh in on Twitter. Our own Aaron Gleeman made a great point:
Big deal. Show me Livan Hernandez‘s birth certificate. Then we have something.
I’ve seen it. It’s printed a foot off-center. However, in October 1997 the clerk ruled that it was perfectly acceptable.
Here’s a far more substantive connection between birtherism and baseball, from HBT reader Steve Ferra:
The brith certificate I want to see is Tony Gwynn Jr’s. He’s thin and can’t hit. I am extremely suspicious.
We are through the looking glass here people.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)