Apr 27, 2011, 12:20 AM EDT
Update – And David Ross makes it five by homering twice against the Padres in San Diego. That’s as many homers as he had in 135 at-bats since the beginning of 2010.
There had been just 22 multihomer games in the first 26 days of the 2011 season, but already Tuesday evening there have been four, including a couple by some pretty unusual names.
Cleveland’s Jack Hannahan homered twice off Luke Hochevar in a win over the Royals. He was the only one of the four players to have already hit at least two homers this season, and he had exactly two. The first homer gave him 100 RBI for his career. He now has 20 homers in 919 lifetime at-bats.
Washington’s Wilson Ramos hit his first two homers of the season. He entered with a fine .341 average in 41 at-bats this year, but he had hit just one homer in 120 at-bats as a major leaguer.
Todd Helton turned back the clock in Chicago, taking James Russell deep twice. The big games came as he was hitting third for the first time this year. He moved up because Carlos Gonzalez was given the day off. It was his first two-homer game since Aug. 7, 2007.
The remaining two-homer guy as of 10 p.m. EDT was Toronto’s Adam Lind. Lind turned in a big spring, but he had hit just one homer in 85 regular-season at-bats.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)