Bombs away on Tuesday

Apr 27, 2011, 12:20 AM EDT

Jack Hannahan AP

Update – And David Ross makes it five by homering twice against the Padres in San Diego. That’s as many homers as he had in 135 at-bats since the beginning of 2010.

There had been just 22 multihomer games in the first 26 days of the 2011 season, but already Tuesday evening there have been four, including a couple by some pretty unusual names.

Cleveland’s Jack Hannahan homered twice off Luke Hochevar in a win over the Royals. He was the only one of the four players to have already hit at least two homers this season, and he had exactly two. The first homer gave him 100 RBI for his career. He now has 20 homers in 919 lifetime at-bats.

Washington’s Wilson Ramos hit his first two homers of the season. He entered with a fine .341 average in 41 at-bats this year, but he had hit just one homer in 120 at-bats as a major leaguer.

Todd Helton turned back the clock in Chicago, taking James Russell deep twice. The big games came as he was hitting third for the first time this year. He moved up because Carlos Gonzalez was given the day off. It was his first two-homer game since Aug. 7, 2007.

The remaining two-homer guy as of 10 p.m. EDT was Toronto’s Adam Lind. Lind turned in a big spring, but he had hit just one homer in 85 regular-season at-bats.

1. cur68 - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Thanks for posting this Mathew. I’m watching the Jays/Ranger game am having a great time with my Blue Jays POWNing the Rangers. Lind was due to break out and he is just locked in tonight. Prior to the game the team took extra BP overseen by that helmeted genius Dwayne Murphy; that is paying off to the tune of every player except Mike McCoy having a hit (he just drove one to the wall; if Borbon had been a step slower it would have been a hit).

The best part of the game, aside from the beatdown the Jays are laying on, is the play by play. Buck Martinez and Pat Tabler are having a great time laughing about how awful they were when they had to face Nolan Ryan in their playing days. These guys not only are doing awesome play by play but they are putting out some terrific comic relief and all at their own expense.

Craig will be happy, too. His boy Tomko just struck out Bautista. Not bad for a 38 year old.

The Philly Phans will also be happy. The Phlyers have won. Way to go Phlyers! C’mon Canucks!

• cur68 - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Blue Jays win. Bautista did not have a home run, but was walked a bunch and had a single (I think). Whatever PED he takes sure causes him to be more patient. I think that performance enhancer is the guy helping him with his batting, plate discipline, and mechanics. That Dwayne Murphy stuff sure helped Lind, McDonlad, & Escobar today. I’m pretty sure he isn’t banned either. Jesse ‘Hagar’ Litsch sure made a case for himself as part of the rotation. He was once again just steady as a rock. The red beard should be a feature of the entire rotation the way its working for young Jesse. The beaver men have now taken 2 in a row off the Rangers. I never expected that to happen.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:07 PM

The boys from beaver land were pelting a lot of solid hits and took their walks when appropriate.

• Mark - Apr 27, 2011 at 7:35 AM

You like Tabler & Buck? They’re pretty painful to listen to :(. I always have to mute or have the TV on low volume so I can have the 590 guys do the play by play.

• cur68 - Apr 27, 2011 at 10:03 AM

There’s way worse than those 2 guys. Who cares any ways? What an onslaught! 10 – 3 against the Rangers! That’s like me beating the crap out of Brock Lesnar.

• spudchukar - Apr 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM

The content isn’t the problem with Martinez, it is his voice. Am I the only one who finds it annoying? I generally root for the Jays, but find myself searching for the opponent’s feed on MLB.TV.

• cur68 - Apr 27, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Yeah, that voice of his needs some timbre. I actually have a problem telling Tabler and Martinez apart during play by play. I think Tabler is the one withe whiskey laugh but I can’t be sure as their voices sound the same. Martinez is at his best when he’s describing a home run (he gets to do that a lot; should have heard him when Bautista hit that in the parker last season). I concur, he’s got a kind of grating voice but when him and Tabler start in on how awful they were as players I forget about it and enjoy listening them crack wise about their lack of talent. It was especially good in relation to how badly Buck did against Nolan Ryan; Tabler faced him 3 times, never struck out, but never scored a run either (if I recall correctly). Martinez had 10 PA’s 2 strike outs and 2 walks. He was so happy abut getting a pass (much less 2 of them) from Ryan he actually giggled. I presume that’s how it worked out for them as I’m not sure who was saying what. I love a good Nolan Ryan story.

2. buddygrant - Apr 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Re: Wilson Ramos… I loved the negative reports/opinions about Ramos from other Twins fans defending that trade last year. They seemed to be perfectly split between:
    1. Ramos’ bat is good but his defense is not.
    and
    2. Ramos’ defense is good but his bat is not.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2677)