Apr 27, 2011, 11:46 AM EST
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Casey Blake “appears to be headed back to the 15-day disabled list” after being hospitalized yesterday in Florida for a fever that the Dodgers believe stems from a swollen, infected elbow.
Dodgers trainer Stan Conte believes that Blake could be sidelined for a month and Don Mattingly noted that “it’s one of those situations you can’t play around with.”
Blake is out of the lineup for today’s game against the Marlins after sitting out Monday and Tuesday, with Mattingly telling Hernandez that the third baseman’s swollen elbow may cause doctors to “open it up and flush it out.”
Aaron Miles is apparently Mattingly’s preferred replacement at third base despite his abysmal .231 batting average and .544 OPS in 174 games since 2009.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (81)