Apr 27, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Casey Blake “appears to be headed back to the 15-day disabled list” after being hospitalized yesterday in Florida for a fever that the Dodgers believe stems from a swollen, infected elbow.
Dodgers trainer Stan Conte believes that Blake could be sidelined for a month and Don Mattingly noted that “it’s one of those situations you can’t play around with.”
Blake is out of the lineup for today’s game against the Marlins after sitting out Monday and Tuesday, with Mattingly telling Hernandez that the third baseman’s swollen elbow may cause doctors to “open it up and flush it out.”
Aaron Miles is apparently Mattingly’s preferred replacement at third base despite his abysmal .231 batting average and .544 OPS in 174 games since 2009.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)