Apr 27, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Casey Blake “appears to be headed back to the 15-day disabled list” after being hospitalized yesterday in Florida for a fever that the Dodgers believe stems from a swollen, infected elbow.
Dodgers trainer Stan Conte believes that Blake could be sidelined for a month and Don Mattingly noted that “it’s one of those situations you can’t play around with.”
Blake is out of the lineup for today’s game against the Marlins after sitting out Monday and Tuesday, with Mattingly telling Hernandez that the third baseman’s swollen elbow may cause doctors to “open it up and flush it out.”
Aaron Miles is apparently Mattingly’s preferred replacement at third base despite his abysmal .231 batting average and .544 OPS in 174 games since 2009.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11