Apr 27, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Carlos Carrasco had hoped to avoid the disabled list after leaving Saturday’s start against the Twins with elbow soreness, but the Indians have decided to put him on the shelf when he wasn’t able to throw a scheduled bullpen session today.
No announcement has been made for a fill-in starter Saturday, but Jordan Bastian of MLB.com speculates the Indians will call up 2009 first-round pick Alex White from Triple-A to face the Tigers.
White is on track to make his next start Saturday at Columbus and the 14th overall pick in the 2009 draft has a 2.37 ERA in 174 career innings as a minor leaguer. David Huff is another possibility to replace Carrasco, but he’d be starting on short rest after throwing seven innings at Triple-A yesterday.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (227)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)