Apr 27, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
Carlos Carrasco had hoped to avoid the disabled list after leaving Saturday’s start against the Twins with elbow soreness, but the Indians have decided to put him on the shelf when he wasn’t able to throw a scheduled bullpen session today.
No announcement has been made for a fill-in starter Saturday, but Jordan Bastian of MLB.com speculates the Indians will call up 2009 first-round pick Alex White from Triple-A to face the Tigers.
White is on track to make his next start Saturday at Columbus and the 14th overall pick in the 2009 draft has a 2.37 ERA in 174 career innings as a minor leaguer. David Huff is another possibility to replace Carrasco, but he’d be starting on short rest after throwing seven innings at Triple-A yesterday.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 38
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 84
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 23
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 44
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 42
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (102)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (84)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)