Apr 27, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
Carlos Carrasco had hoped to avoid the disabled list after leaving Saturday’s start against the Twins with elbow soreness, but the Indians have decided to put him on the shelf when he wasn’t able to throw a scheduled bullpen session today.
No announcement has been made for a fill-in starter Saturday, but Jordan Bastian of MLB.com speculates the Indians will call up 2009 first-round pick Alex White from Triple-A to face the Tigers.
White is on track to make his next start Saturday at Columbus and the 14th overall pick in the 2009 draft has a 2.37 ERA in 174 career innings as a minor leaguer. David Huff is another possibility to replace Carrasco, but he’d be starting on short rest after throwing seven innings at Triple-A yesterday.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)