Apr 27, 2011, 9:11 AM EDT
P.R. professionals like to use the term “optics” to refer to how things look (as opposed to what is really going on). You could have just given $100,000 to an orphanage, but if you are seen berating your assistant for sloppy writing on the big oversized check that will be paraded before the media, those are “bad optics.”
Maybe that’s all superficial stuff. But sometimes the optics of a given situation tell some fundamental truth about that situation. And while I’m not a P.R. professional, I do wonder if Frank McCourt has thought through the optics of this day. A day on which (a) he’ll be in New York meeting with MLB executives to plead his case about keeping control of the Dodgers; while (b) the new man in control of the Dodgers, Tom Schieffer, will hold a press conference in Los Angeles where he’ll no doubt talk about how deeply he cares about restoring the Dodgers to financial sanity.
Is there no one in Frank McCourt’s circle of advisors who told him that it may be a good idea for him to be seen showing an equal amount of concern for the Dodgers on this day, at least publicly, and then going to New York next week in order to restore his personal control over the team?
Because when the narrative of his reign in Los Angeles is “the man ran the team into the ground while extracting a hundred million bucks or more from it for his own personal use,” looking like a bit more of a team player seems important.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)