Apr 27, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
UPDATE: It’s Braves’ pitching coach Roger McDowell. Details here.
8:25 AM: Gloria Allred is someone with whom you’re familiar even if you don’t know it. She’s the extremely high-profile (mostly) civil rights lawyer who will, almost always, land some client or another in connection with whatever massive tabloidy and/or entertainment story is dominating the media at any given time. Whether it’s O.J., Princess Diana, Scott Peterson, Borat our countless other arglebargles or fooforaws, you can bet your bippy Allred is involved somehow, usually with a peripheral character, but not always.
My favorite Allred moment was actually a fictitious one. In a “South Park” episode she represented Big Gay Al when he sued the Boy Scouts for discriminating against homosexuals. Then, when Al tries to drop the lawsuit, she accuses Al himself of being a homophobe. An over-the-top portrayal? Just barely, God love her.
In any event, baseball is going to get all they want of Ms. Allred today, as TMZ is reporting that she’s going to hold a press conference this afternoon in which she’ll accuse a major league coach — identity unknown at the moment — of making anti-gay slurs at a male fan and then, when the man complained about such language being used in front of his nine-year-old daughter, allegedly said “kids don’t f***ing belong at the baseball park.” There were allegedly threats made after that, but I’m sure Allred will explain it in more vivid detail than I could ever hope to.
If true, this could be the most explosive verbal assault from a baseball coach since that reporter asked Tommy Lasorda what he thought of Dave Kingman’s performance.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)