Apr 27, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
Roy Oswalt got knocked around by the Diamondbacks last night and didn’t stick around after the game to talk to the media about it. Matt Gelb of the Philly Inquirer reports that Ruben Amaro was meeting with Charlie Manuel just as the reporters arrived and that earlier he had “huddled with a team official” during the game in, I presume, a manner that was unusual or else it wouldn’t have been mentioned by Gelb.
The question: did Roy Oswalt simply have a bad night or is his back acting up again?
Charlie Manuel said he was “concerned” about Oswalt’s ineffectiveness yesterday, but both he and catcher Brian Schneider said that Oswalt made no complaints of any physical problems. He had back spasms earlier this month. Last week pitching coach Rich Dubee said that he didn’t think Oswalt was 100% recovered, but of course he pitched a fine game against the Padres on Thursday.
For all of the injuries the Phillies have had so far this year, none of them — in my view anyway — can keep them from winning the NL East. If something happens to the rotation, however, all bets are off. Here’s hoping Oswalt just had a bad night.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)