Johan Santana may not be back until August or September

Apr 27, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT

Santana_Johan

The timeline for Johan Santana‘s return has been a bit of a moving target. At one point early in the process we heard May.  Mostly we’ve heard June and July.  Now Buster Olney is hearing that it could be as late as August or even September before the Mets’ ace is back on the hill.

Really, though: are there any Mets fans who expected Santana to make a significant contribution this year?  In some ways, isn’t it better if everyone resigns themselves to Santana not being an important part of the 2011 Mets, allows him to come back slowly and then be prepared and fresh for 2012?  Shoulder surgeries like he had are pretty major.

1. BC - Apr 27, 2011 at 9:40 AM

He won’t pitch this year. The Mets will be 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 games out of contention by August. Maybe possibly they send him on a rehab stint in the minors, but they all basically wrap up by September 1. I don’t think you’ll see him until 2012.

• uyf1950 - Apr 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM

My friend, assuming he doesn’t pitch in 2011 at all. Do see the Mets holding on to him for the 2 remaining years of his contract (2012 and 2013) obviously his 2014 option won’t be picked up? Or do you see them trying to unload him after this season or sometime in 2012 and eating a good portion of his salary but at least getting some value for him in the way of prospects? Not a big fan of the Mets as you probably well know but I can’t imagine with their “financial” issues that they want to carry approximately a $25MM per payroll on the books through 2013.
      Just wondering what your thought are.

• BC - Apr 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM

If he doesn’t pitch in 2011, they have to get him out there for 2012 and prove he’s back to at least close to his past self before they can unload him. This year, Reyes will go. Beltran will go as well I’m thinking.

2. sdelmonte - Apr 27, 2011 at 10:52 AM

While I don’t expect much from Johan, I will note that the Star-Ledger (as quoted in Adam Rubin’s daily summary of Mets news at ESPN-NY) says he’s possibly returning to throwing from flat ground next week. Which might not contradict Buster’s report, since I can see Alderson and friends being conservative no matter what.

Fine by me. I would rather see Mejia and Gee get a few late season starts.

3. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM

If he is smart and cares about his health he will never go back to the Mets or Citi field, they are blights.

Jason Bay was trying to sit out for three more years but a strained oblique doesn’t need that much time.

I predict that one day the entire Met team will defect to Cuba after a three game series in Florida,
    Fidel Castro will pick them up at the airport in a pick up truck..

buh bye

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3169)