Apr 27, 2011, 3:59 PM EST
This is … unexpected. According to this Spanish language report — with English summary here — Livan Hernandez is the target of a federal probe related to money laundering on behalf of convicted Puerto Rican drug trafficker Angel Ayala Vázquez, known to his criminal friends as “El Buster.” (El Buster?). Even if you don’t speak Spanish, please click the Spanish link for the awesome picture. Antonia Alfonseca was likely unavailable for comment.
As near a can be told from these second and third level reports, Immigration and Customs agents testified in “El Buster’s” trial that a warehouse full of exotic cars and other expensive luxury items allegedly belonging to El Buster were registered to Hernandez. The feds, when asked, confirmed that the investigation could lead to criminal charges for Hernandez.
There’s obviously a lot more to this — and I’m sure we’ll hear more soon — but it’s all we have now.
UPDATE: Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington fills in some of the pieces here, as well as passes along a short statement from the Nationals:
A team spokesman said Wednesday that the Nationals “are aware of, and continue to monitor, the situation as it pertains to the Angel Manuel Ayala trial.” Hernandez, through the spokesman, declined to comment.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)