Apr 27, 2011, 3:59 PM EDT
This is … unexpected. According to this Spanish language report — with English summary here — Livan Hernandez is the target of a federal probe related to money laundering on behalf of convicted Puerto Rican drug trafficker Angel Ayala Vázquez, known to his criminal friends as “El Buster.” (El Buster?). Even if you don’t speak Spanish, please click the Spanish link for the awesome picture. Antonia Alfonseca was likely unavailable for comment.
As near a can be told from these second and third level reports, Immigration and Customs agents testified in “El Buster’s” trial that a warehouse full of exotic cars and other expensive luxury items allegedly belonging to El Buster were registered to Hernandez. The feds, when asked, confirmed that the investigation could lead to criminal charges for Hernandez.
There’s obviously a lot more to this — and I’m sure we’ll hear more soon — but it’s all we have now.
UPDATE: Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington fills in some of the pieces here, as well as passes along a short statement from the Nationals:
A team spokesman said Wednesday that the Nationals “are aware of, and continue to monitor, the situation as it pertains to the Angel Manuel Ayala trial.” Hernandez, through the spokesman, declined to comment.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)