Apr 27, 2011, 3:59 PM EDT
This is … unexpected. According to this Spanish language report — with English summary here — Livan Hernandez is the target of a federal probe related to money laundering on behalf of convicted Puerto Rican drug trafficker Angel Ayala Vázquez, known to his criminal friends as “El Buster.” (El Buster?). Even if you don’t speak Spanish, please click the Spanish link for the awesome picture. Antonia Alfonseca was likely unavailable for comment.
As near a can be told from these second and third level reports, Immigration and Customs agents testified in “El Buster’s” trial that a warehouse full of exotic cars and other expensive luxury items allegedly belonging to El Buster were registered to Hernandez. The feds, when asked, confirmed that the investigation could lead to criminal charges for Hernandez.
There’s obviously a lot more to this — and I’m sure we’ll hear more soon — but it’s all we have now.
UPDATE: Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington fills in some of the pieces here, as well as passes along a short statement from the Nationals:
A team spokesman said Wednesday that the Nationals “are aware of, and continue to monitor, the situation as it pertains to the Angel Manuel Ayala trial.” Hernandez, through the spokesman, declined to comment.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 49
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)