Apr 27, 2011, 7:05 PM EST
Infield Emmanuel Burriss will replace him on the Giants roster.
DeRosa is dealing with inflammation around the area on which he had surgery last summer. The 36-year-old has been dealing with problems there for years, and he played in just 68 games for the Cardinals in 2009 and 26 games for the Giants in 2010.
DeRosa is making $6 million in the second season of the two-year deal, but he’s a man without a position in San Francisco. He’s started just three games this season (twice at third base, once at first). The Marlins were thought to want him to fill their hole at the hot corner, but since he’s out for at least two weeks now and it’s obvious his wrist problems could recur at any time, it’s going to be hard for the Giants to find anyone willing to take on a portion of his contract.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)