Apr 27, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
Infield Emmanuel Burriss will replace him on the Giants roster.
DeRosa is dealing with inflammation around the area on which he had surgery last summer. The 36-year-old has been dealing with problems there for years, and he played in just 68 games for the Cardinals in 2009 and 26 games for the Giants in 2010.
DeRosa is making $6 million in the second season of the two-year deal, but he’s a man without a position in San Francisco. He’s started just three games this season (twice at third base, once at first). The Marlins were thought to want him to fill their hole at the hot corner, but since he’s out for at least two weeks now and it’s obvious his wrist problems could recur at any time, it’s going to be hard for the Giants to find anyone willing to take on a portion of his contract.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)