Apr 27, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
Infield Emmanuel Burriss will replace him on the Giants roster.
DeRosa is dealing with inflammation around the area on which he had surgery last summer. The 36-year-old has been dealing with problems there for years, and he played in just 68 games for the Cardinals in 2009 and 26 games for the Giants in 2010.
DeRosa is making $6 million in the second season of the two-year deal, but he’s a man without a position in San Francisco. He’s started just three games this season (twice at third base, once at first). The Marlins were thought to want him to fill their hole at the hot corner, but since he’s out for at least two weeks now and it’s obvious his wrist problems could recur at any time, it’s going to be hard for the Giants to find anyone willing to take on a portion of his contract.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)