Apr 27, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
Infield Emmanuel Burriss will replace him on the Giants roster.
DeRosa is dealing with inflammation around the area on which he had surgery last summer. The 36-year-old has been dealing with problems there for years, and he played in just 68 games for the Cardinals in 2009 and 26 games for the Giants in 2010.
DeRosa is making $6 million in the second season of the two-year deal, but he’s a man without a position in San Francisco. He’s started just three games this season (twice at third base, once at first). The Marlins were thought to want him to fill their hole at the hot corner, but since he’s out for at least two weeks now and it’s obvious his wrist problems could recur at any time, it’s going to be hard for the Giants to find anyone willing to take on a portion of his contract.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (111)