Apr 27, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
Infield Emmanuel Burriss will replace him on the Giants roster.
DeRosa is dealing with inflammation around the area on which he had surgery last summer. The 36-year-old has been dealing with problems there for years, and he played in just 68 games for the Cardinals in 2009 and 26 games for the Giants in 2010.
DeRosa is making $6 million in the second season of the two-year deal, but he’s a man without a position in San Francisco. He’s started just three games this season (twice at third base, once at first). The Marlins were thought to want him to fill their hole at the hot corner, but since he’s out for at least two weeks now and it’s obvious his wrist problems could recur at any time, it’s going to be hard for the Giants to find anyone willing to take on a portion of his contract.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 52
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)