Apr 27, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira was lifted from Wednesday night’s defeat of the White Sox in the eighth inning due to soreness in his right shoulder. He’s had to dive for balls in back-to-back games and the bruises finally caught up to him.
Teixeira told Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger that he was having trouble swinging and throwing by the end of Wednesday’s game, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi assured reporters during his press conference that the issue is minor and that no tests have yet been scheduled.
Eric Chavez replaced Teixeira at first base Wednesday and could start there in Thursday’s series finale with Chicago if the Yanks want to play it safe. Tex is batting .253/.387/.560 on the young season.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)