Apr 27, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
Mark DeRosa has just 20 plate appearances through 22 games for the Giants after missing most of last season following wrist surgery, so it makes sense that he could be on the trading block and Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Marlins are “keeping an eye on” him.
Florida is looking for third base help with Greg Dobbs drawing most of the starts there and prospect Matt Dominguez on the disabled list at Triple-A with a fractured elbow.
DeRosa is 36 years old, hasn’t been productive since the first half of 2009, and is making $6 million in the second season of a two-year, $12 million deal, but presumably the Giants would be open to eating some of that salary in return for a mid-level prospect.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)