Apr 27, 2011, 2:44 PM EST
Mark DeRosa has just 20 plate appearances through 22 games for the Giants after missing most of last season following wrist surgery, so it makes sense that he could be on the trading block and Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Marlins are “keeping an eye on” him.
Florida is looking for third base help with Greg Dobbs drawing most of the starts there and prospect Matt Dominguez on the disabled list at Triple-A with a fractured elbow.
DeRosa is 36 years old, hasn’t been productive since the first half of 2009, and is making $6 million in the second season of a two-year, $12 million deal, but presumably the Giants would be open to eating some of that salary in return for a mid-level prospect.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)