Neftali Feliz already cleared to begin throwing program

Apr 27, 2011, 10:16 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox v Texas Rangers Getty Images

When the Rangers placed Neftali Feliz on the disabled list last week, they said his injury was minor. They said he’d be back within two weeks.

So far, it looks like they’re going to be right.

According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Feliz was cleared to begin a throwing program on Wednesday morning and played catch comfortably at a distance of 90 feet in the afternoon.

The 22-year-old closer is eligible to return to the Rangers’ bullpen on May 6 and the Texas training staff is confident that he will be ready to rock by then.

Feliz has a 1.08 ERA through eight relief appearances this season and has successfully converted his first five save opportunities. Darren Oliver and Arthur Rhodes have been handling the ninth inning in his absence.

1. cur68 - Apr 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I was really hoping to see him in this series against my team, the Blue Jays, but alas, it was not meant to be. I wanted to see who would win between him and Bautista. As it stands, Jose has fared pretty well with the walks and hits against Feliz’s mates so I’m pretty happy about that part. I hope Feliz gets himself in shape soon. He’s fun to watch.

Meantime, the beavermen had tied it @ 6 all with a Juan Rivera homer only to give it right back to a Mitch Moreland bomb. Now 7 – 6 Rangers, so not exactly a pitching duel in Arlington. I can actually see Nolan Ryan’s acid reflux eating his esophagus. It must really grind a guy who was as good as he was to see his pitchers getting creamed like this.

• cur68 - Apr 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Judging by the performance of Ranger pitchers overt the last 3 games, nothing would lead me to believe that the younger staff members are all that good. They’ve been shelled by the Jays. In fact their best pitchers have been guys like Tomko and now Rhodes who’ve held things down while the younger guys have pretty much just served it up to beaver lumber.

Feliz being on the DL might be the best thing for them to get a win off of my boys. I do believe, if the score remains 7 – 6 Texas, the beaver boys will have to face Darren Oliver as the closer. Given the way the older pitchers have done, I like Oliver in this duel. If I were Nolan Ryan, in spite of all my young talent essentially getting the high hard one from the Jays, I’d find some happiness in the fact that it’s the older guys holding them off. That, and some Gaviscon, will probably make him feel better.

• cur68 - Apr 27, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Aaaaaand Darren Oliver strikes out Encarnacion to save the game. He made it interesting, with runners on 1st and 3rd but he also dealt with Bautista, Lind and, of course Encarnacion. Murderers row for the Jays. The old dudes rule. 4th and final game tomorrow noon. Can’t wait.

• Senor Cardgage - Apr 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM

The stats don’t bear out your claim. Coming into the series, the three young starters had a combined record of 9-2, and the ERAs of the relievers are for the most part quite respectable. Tomko, whom you single out, actually has the highest ERA of relievers on the active roster.

• cur68 - Apr 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I spoke only, and indicated quite clearly, and was quoted by you, of ONLY the last 3 games not “Coming into the series”. Tomko and Oliver both sat down Bautista. Something the younger guys didn’t do.

As far as “Coming into the series” goes, I agree, they’re dynamite. Against the Blue Jays, thus far? Not even a sparkler.

• Senor Cardgage - Apr 28, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Okay, let’s just look at this series.

If we’re talking starters, then yes, Matt Harrison had a dismal outing on Tuesday (even then, it was just his first non-quality start of the year). Holland wasn’t much better, but he was one good pitch away from getting out of the fourth with a four-run lead and was in line for the win when he left the game. So I’ll give you one of two there.

As for relievers, over these last three games, they’ve actually been very close to lights-out. If not for just two pitches—both of which went for home runs—they could have a 0.00 ERA. The biggest blow was the three-run homer against Tomko.

• cur68 - Apr 28, 2011 at 1:27 PM

deep sigh. The young pitchers are good, ok. Happy now? What are you, their dad? I mean no disrespect to them. All I’m saying; the old guys did me proud. That’s it. Whatever.

• Senor Cardgage - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Yes, thanks. You said “nothing,” so I gave you something. I just wanted them to get a fair shake.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3739)