The Athletics now play in the Overstock.com Coliseum

Apr 27, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT

Oakland Coliseum

The Contra Costa Times reports that the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum — home of the A’s and the Raiders — will be renamed Overstock.com Coliseum. The deal will earn the county $1.2 million a year for the next six years.  I have two issues with this:

1. Anyone really betting that the Coliseum is going to last six more years? I mean, even Bud Selig’s committees have a shelf life, and I have a hard time seeing the A’s plying their trade in that joint in 2017.  From what I understand the Raiders are itching to get one of those fancy new stadiums too, be it in Northern California or elsewhere.

2.  I’m not sure why companies continue to buy naming rights for previously-built and previously-named stadiums, because people are just going to use the old names anyway. Or they’re going to use cutesy nicknames like “The O,” which is the opening sentence to the linked article. Or Surplus Stadium or whatever.  Indeed, after this post, I can pretty much guarantee that no HardballTalk writer will use the name “Overstock.com Coliseum” in a post — at least in a non-mocking post — and fans will continue to call the place whatever they’ve been calling it for the past 40+ years.

But hey, I never said I understood business.

1. Joe - Apr 27, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I prefer “The Big O.”

• purdueman - Apr 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Joe: That would be funny because there’s a tire store chain in Southern California by the name of: “Big O tires” who would (I’m sure), love all of the free publicity!

2. heffmessina - Apr 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Judging by the amount of people that show up to the games they are certainly overstocked on seats.

3. Utley's Hair - Apr 27, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I wasn’t aware that overstock.com was still around.

4. heynerdlinger - Apr 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM

5. Old Gator - Apr 27, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Another imbecilic name for a MLB stadium. Well, for my money, Joeprodolsharklife Stadium will continue to lead the pack for sheer mindless naming rights shuffleboard. We look forward to the opening of Macondo Banana Massacre Field next April.

6. hermitfool - Apr 27, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Are you sure this news didn’t come from the Contra Costa Onion? Overstock.com has been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for the past two years. If they made one year’s payment, let alone six, it’d be a huge upset.

I’ll take the unders for a thousand, Alex.

• banksatdixie - Apr 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Actually Overstock.com had revenues of over $1 billion in the fiscal year 2010. Straight profits of something like $15 million. As far as the price goes, this is a bargain for naming rights, rightfully so..

7. clydeserra - Apr 27, 2011 at 1:49 PM

The big O? are we going to have a sighting of Le Grande Orange?

8. purdueman - Apr 27, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I agree with the author; I think it’s very hard to get fans to identify with the name of a park/stadium when it turns into a revolving door. For example, I just refer to the home of the San Francisco Giants as being “The Phone Company Park”, because it seems as if it changes names every other year or so.

The author is also right about the parks new names oftentimes morphing into something totally different than what was intended by the companies paying for the naming rights. For example, in Chicago US Cellular Field (home of the White Sox), is just referred to as “The Cell”, and in San Diego the Padres new yard is oftentimes just called “The Pet”.

I think in the case though of the Oakland Stadium, Al Davis should have been required to pay for the naming rights and called it: “Mt. Davis Stadium”! It used to be a nice place to catch a baseball game, but that was before Davis ruined it with his monument upper deck and turned it back into a multi-use stadium.

9. bloodysock - Apr 28, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Can the A’s ship their entire order to relocate the stadium to San Jose for only $2.95?

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win