The Braves have a rally song that is older than most of the Braves

Apr 27, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT

Eddie Money.bmp

Look, it’s not always easy being a Braves fan. Part of it is because the hard core among us have to constantly answer for the largely indifferent Atlanta fan base, their playoff-no-shows and the Tomahawk Chop.  Part of it is that whole Buffalo Bills-esque five-pennants-but-only-one-title thing (though I’d take that over what anyone besides the Yankees have done in recent history).

A lot of it, though, is that there has never been anything particularly cool about the Braves. Lots of good players, but not many cool ones (my latest hope, Jason Heyward, strikes me as kind of a nerd, actually; here’s hoping I’m wrong).  No moments that transfer well to t-shirts or catch phrases that excite the fan base, however briefly. We have no “Chooooch!” or “Yooouuuk!” and our time in the national media spotlight was more a function of Ted Turner needing to fill time on his network in the 80s than of sustained excellence which, while it came later, was somehow less fun.

All of which is to say that I am 100% unsurprised that when the team starts to rally around something — in this case a rally song — that it’s kinda lame and old: “Shakin” by Eddie Money, according to Dave O’Brien.  You know, from the 1982 “No Control” album?  The one with this video? No, you don’t know because you either weren’t alive then or you had moved on from Eddie Money after the 70s were over to something less … sucky.

Not that I have a huge problem with it. I’m nearly 38 years old and I’m kind of lame myself. And, sure, nine year-old Craigy actually kind of liked that song. Heck, in some sort of half-ironic way I like it now. I hope the Braves’ adoption of it is ironic. I just kind of doubt it is.

And the problem will be if this takes hold and the Braves rip off, like, 20 wins in 30 games. Then it will start to become a thing. And once again I will have lots of people asking me why the Braves are so lame. And I will have absolutely no answer.

But I guess if it comes with wins, I won’t care.

1. bobulated - Apr 27, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Well apparently David Ross sings it in his underwear or less so hopefully his performance won’t be on the big screen at the Ted anytime soon.

2. tomemos - Apr 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I have to be careful how I say this, but: nerdiness isn’t uncool when the nerd is black. Black nerds are the coolest, cooler than most white non-nerds. I mean, Henry Louis Gates? Malcolm X? MF Doom? There’s a proud tradition of completely awesome black nerds, where there just isn’t with white nerds (David Byrne notwithstanding).

• tomemos - Apr 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM

That was in reference to the line about Heyward, in case anyone’s wondering what the hell I’m talking about.

• cur68 - Apr 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I thank you sir. For the first time EVER in my life I can claim coolness. Now did I spill me ear medicine on my glasses or is my vision getting worse?

3. luckywi - Apr 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Could be harder to be Braves now, if you are gay.

4. woodenulykteneau - Apr 27, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Wait. A southern-based organization that’s more than a generation behind the rest of the nation? Next up: Young Republicans and trust funds — do they go together like peas and carrots?

• JBerardi - Apr 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM

The woods — do bears shit in them?

5. atlsp - Apr 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Considering that Chipper Jones said (per a DOB tweet) that he only likes the song “when Rossy’s singing it, and doing his little dance number”, I’d guess the Braves think it’s ironic.

That said, if they do reel off a big win streak (they’ll have won 5 of 6 if they hold on to today’s 6-0 lead in the 6th), it will probably become “a thing”, irony be damned.

• JBerardi - Apr 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM

“I’d guess the Braves think it’s ironic.”

They don’t teach irony in the minors.

6. yankeesfanlen - Apr 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM

At least we now know who Justin Bieber’s dad is.

Lame drag race, too- the Malibu’s power-to-weight ratio will beat the Impala every time.

7. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Atlanta stole the Tomahawk chop from Florida State, bunch of crooked people if you askeme

8. metalhead65 - Apr 27, 2011 at 9:23 PM

right because today’s music is so much cooler,that would be the ones where the performers lip synch and “dance” to pre-recorded tracks that sound the same as everybody else’s right?the generation that thinks scratching records constitutes music and talking fast is singing right? I will take the lame music of people who actually know how to use musical instruments and sing plus write their own songs and do not need to steal I mean “sample” somebody else’s music in order to have a hit. look I don’t even like the braves but lay off the music and stick to baseball. Eddie put out alot a good music in the 80’s,you should buy the cd the sound of money and hear what you missed while listening to whatever crap you listened to then.

9. rcj78fbi - Apr 28, 2011 at 3:49 AM

that song isnt bad i still listen to that and im only 24 but for a rally song no its just not a rallying type of song to me

10. cgraydonhudson - Apr 28, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Let’s not forget too that this is the same team that plays John Denver’s “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” during the seventh inning of every game right after “Take Me Out to the Ballgame”. Yes, here in the birthplace of MLK Jr., the Braves organization chooses to pander to the hillbilly archetype. Maybe they could start wearing a confederate flag patch on their uniforms as well.

11. tmktwo - Oct 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM

i also had a dream we didnt have to hear all about that fake role model!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3899)