Apr 27, 2011, 9:42 PM EST
Twins outfielder Delmon Young hasn’t appeared in a game since April 18 — last Monday — due to discomfort on the left side of his ribcage.
He tried returning tonight and was actually penciled into the Twins’ initial starting lineup. But Young couldn’t get through pregame warmups without feeling pain and was scratched before first pitch.
Now, according to Keslie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Twins are placing Young on the 15-day disabled list.
Rene Tonosi, a 36th round draft pick of the Twins back in 2005, has been recalled from Triple-A Rochester to provide outfield depth. The 24-year-old Tosoni has hit .288/.333/.515 with three home runs, two steals and 16 RBI in 18 games for the Rochester Red Wings. He’ll be making his first trip to the majors.
Young’s disabling can be made retroactive to April 19, so he’ll be eligible to return in the first week of May. Still, it’s another blow to a team that has already lost catcher Joe Mauer and continues to get minimal production from Justin Morneau. The Minnesota batting order isn’t scaring anyone these days.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)