Apr 27, 2011, 9:42 PM EDT
Twins outfielder Delmon Young hasn’t appeared in a game since April 18 — last Monday — due to discomfort on the left side of his ribcage.
He tried returning tonight and was actually penciled into the Twins’ initial starting lineup. But Young couldn’t get through pregame warmups without feeling pain and was scratched before first pitch.
Now, according to Keslie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Twins are placing Young on the 15-day disabled list.
Rene Tonosi, a 36th round draft pick of the Twins back in 2005, has been recalled from Triple-A Rochester to provide outfield depth. The 24-year-old Tosoni has hit .288/.333/.515 with three home runs, two steals and 16 RBI in 18 games for the Rochester Red Wings. He’ll be making his first trip to the majors.
Young’s disabling can be made retroactive to April 19, so he’ll be eligible to return in the first week of May. Still, it’s another blow to a team that has already lost catcher Joe Mauer and continues to get minimal production from Justin Morneau. The Minnesota batting order isn’t scaring anyone these days.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)