Apr 27, 2011, 3:34 PM EDT
Ned Colletti said it was closer-by-committee. Johnathon Broxton told the media that Don Mattingly said that he was his number one guy. We didn’t get a test of that yesterday because the Dodgers lost, but we got it today and the answer is that the committee — or maybe just Vicente Padilla — is the Dodgers’ closer.
The Dodgers and the Marlins went to extra innings this afternoon and Andre Ethier hit a homer in the top of the 10th. Padilla was already warming up when it was a tie game and kept warming up when the Dodgers took the lead. Jonathan Broxton, for his part, remained in a warmup jacket. Padilla came in for the bottom of the inning and got three quick groundballs. Game over.
Padilla got two saves with the Phillies 11 years ago. This was his third. And I’m guessing that there are more in his future.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)