Apr 27, 2011, 3:34 PM EDT
Ned Colletti said it was closer-by-committee. Johnathon Broxton told the media that Don Mattingly said that he was his number one guy. We didn’t get a test of that yesterday because the Dodgers lost, but we got it today and the answer is that the committee — or maybe just Vicente Padilla — is the Dodgers’ closer.
The Dodgers and the Marlins went to extra innings this afternoon and Andre Ethier hit a homer in the top of the 10th. Padilla was already warming up when it was a tie game and kept warming up when the Dodgers took the lead. Jonathan Broxton, for his part, remained in a warmup jacket. Padilla came in for the bottom of the inning and got three quick groundballs. Game over.
Padilla got two saves with the Phillies 11 years ago. This was his third. And I’m guessing that there are more in his future.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)