Apr 27, 2011, 3:34 PM EDT
Ned Colletti said it was closer-by-committee. Johnathon Broxton told the media that Don Mattingly said that he was his number one guy. We didn’t get a test of that yesterday because the Dodgers lost, but we got it today and the answer is that the committee — or maybe just Vicente Padilla — is the Dodgers’ closer.
The Dodgers and the Marlins went to extra innings this afternoon and Andre Ethier hit a homer in the top of the 10th. Padilla was already warming up when it was a tie game and kept warming up when the Dodgers took the lead. Jonathan Broxton, for his part, remained in a warmup jacket. Padilla came in for the bottom of the inning and got three quick groundballs. Game over.
Padilla got two saves with the Phillies 11 years ago. This was his third. And I’m guessing that there are more in his future.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11