Apr 27, 2011, 3:34 PM EST
Ned Colletti said it was closer-by-committee. Johnathon Broxton told the media that Don Mattingly said that he was his number one guy. We didn’t get a test of that yesterday because the Dodgers lost, but we got it today and the answer is that the committee — or maybe just Vicente Padilla — is the Dodgers’ closer.
The Dodgers and the Marlins went to extra innings this afternoon and Andre Ethier hit a homer in the top of the 10th. Padilla was already warming up when it was a tie game and kept warming up when the Dodgers took the lead. Jonathan Broxton, for his part, remained in a warmup jacket. Padilla came in for the bottom of the inning and got three quick groundballs. Game over.
Padilla got two saves with the Phillies 11 years ago. This was his third. And I’m guessing that there are more in his future.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (330)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)