Apr 27, 2011, 3:34 PM EDT
Ned Colletti said it was closer-by-committee. Johnathon Broxton told the media that Don Mattingly said that he was his number one guy. We didn’t get a test of that yesterday because the Dodgers lost, but we got it today and the answer is that the committee — or maybe just Vicente Padilla — is the Dodgers’ closer.
The Dodgers and the Marlins went to extra innings this afternoon and Andre Ethier hit a homer in the top of the 10th. Padilla was already warming up when it was a tie game and kept warming up when the Dodgers took the lead. Jonathan Broxton, for his part, remained in a warmup jacket. Padilla came in for the bottom of the inning and got three quick groundballs. Game over.
Padilla got two saves with the Phillies 11 years ago. This was his third. And I’m guessing that there are more in his future.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 54
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)