Apr 28, 2011, 2:10 PM EST
OK, so it was just one plate appearance and it ended in a walk, which is hardly especially dramatic. But it still seems like a good time to provide an update on last year’s top two picks.
Taillon, drafted second overall by the Pirates, made his pro debut for low Single-A West Virginia on Wednesday, allowing one run in two innings before a rain delay halted play for the night. He failed to record a strikeout, but according to Baseball America, he was consistently in the mid-90s with his fastball.
Harper entered the contest with three homers in his last four games, giving him a .286/.394/.554 line in 56 at-bats for low Single-A Hagerstown. He’s driven in 15 runs in 17 games.
Other top picks are off to great starts too:
Shortstop Manny Machado, the third overall pick by the Orioles, is hitting .314/.410/.571 for low Single-A Delmarva. He’s playing in the same league as Harper and Taillon.
The Mets’ Matt Harvey, who was drafted seventh overall, has yet to allow an earned run in 22 innings for Single-A St. Lucie and could be staring down a promotion to Double-A. He has a 27/8 K/BB ratio, and Florida State League hitters are batting .184 against him.
Yasmani Grandal, considered by many to be the most polished position player available in last year’s draft, is batting .310/.459/.655 with five homers in 58 at-bats for high-A Bakersfield. He was the 12th overall pick by the Reds.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 43
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 168
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)