Apr 28, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
OK, so it was just one plate appearance and it ended in a walk, which is hardly especially dramatic. But it still seems like a good time to provide an update on last year’s top two picks.
Taillon, drafted second overall by the Pirates, made his pro debut for low Single-A West Virginia on Wednesday, allowing one run in two innings before a rain delay halted play for the night. He failed to record a strikeout, but according to Baseball America, he was consistently in the mid-90s with his fastball.
Harper entered the contest with three homers in his last four games, giving him a .286/.394/.554 line in 56 at-bats for low Single-A Hagerstown. He’s driven in 15 runs in 17 games.
Other top picks are off to great starts too:
Shortstop Manny Machado, the third overall pick by the Orioles, is hitting .314/.410/.571 for low Single-A Delmarva. He’s playing in the same league as Harper and Taillon.
The Mets’ Matt Harvey, who was drafted seventh overall, has yet to allow an earned run in 22 innings for Single-A St. Lucie and could be staring down a promotion to Double-A. He has a 27/8 K/BB ratio, and Florida State League hitters are batting .184 against him.
Yasmani Grandal, considered by many to be the most polished position player available in last year’s draft, is batting .310/.459/.655 with five homers in 58 at-bats for high-A Bakersfield. He was the 12th overall pick by the Reds.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)