Kendrys Morales still not running at full speed, re-examined by foot specialist

Apr 28, 2011, 10:10 AM EST

Kendry Morales

It’s hard to remember now, but at one point the Angels were hoping to have Kendrys Morales in the Opening Day lineup.

Now they might settle for having him in the second half.

Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that Morales still isn’t running at full speed on the fractured ankle that ended his 2010 season in May and was re-examined yesterday by a foot specialist.

Mike Scioscia called the doctor’s visit “just part of the process” but at this point there’s no timetable for Morales’ return and he seems to be going backward in his recovery with every update.

Morales has been hitting and fielding ground balls since spring training, but until he’s able to run at something resembling full strength and perhaps more importantly do so without needing multiple days off from running afterward it’ll be impossible to project a return date.

1. uyf1950 - Apr 28, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I’m telling everyone. I can see Prince Fielder in the Angels future next year.

2. jobooo - Apr 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM

There was talk when he arrived at spring training that the Angels were concerned about how much he had tried to push it during the off season. Apparently he’d been trying to run against doctor’s orders.

I hope he didn’t set himself too far back.

3. aceshigh11 - Apr 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Apparently that extra ‘s’ stands for ‘setback.’

Poor guy.

4. BC - Apr 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I snapped my ankle (actually my fibula, right above the ankle) 4 years ago, and haven’t been able to run since. I take 5 or 6 running steps and fall on my face. Hopefully its just that his gait is out of whack, and they give him orthotics or something to correct it.

• cur68 - Apr 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM

BC: Did you dislocate the ankle too? Unless you ruptured the joint capsule of the ankle, you should be able to trot along just fine by now. Either way, I do believe you need some physio there BC.

Our boy Kendrys is a break & dislocation, I do believe. He could be hampered for a while yet.

5. kingjoe1 - Apr 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM

This dude is big baby. It is going to hurt for the first few weeks of running. Calcium or scar tissue will have to break up. He needs to suck it up and be a man about it.

6. jstrizzle - Apr 28, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Does he not know the implications this has for my Fantasy Baseball team? This guy is so selfish

7. clydeserra - Apr 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM

If he never plays again, it would be the best and the worst last AB.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester