MLB is not pleased with Ozzie Guillen’s post-ejection tweeting

Apr 28, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen AP

From Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago comes word that Major League Baseball isn’t too happy with Ozzie Guillen’s use of Twitter following his ejection from Wednesday night’s game:

MLB saying Oz tweeting last nite is their first issue involving social media during a game.

Sounds about right.

While we might think it’s great having access to a manager’s thoughts moments after he gets tossed from a game, there’s a large element of risk to it all. Guillen basically got on a loudspeaker last night no more than five minutes after home plate umpire Todd Tichenor ejected him. And that’s not something MLB wants.

After the game ended, some reporters asked Guillen about his tweets:

“I no worry about that,” Guillen said. “Let’s talk about [expletive] baseball. [Expletive] tweeting.”

Ozzie should avoid punishment here because Major League Baseball doesn’t have a policy against the use of Twitter by coaches and managers. Bud Selig and Co. may want to put something together quickly.

1. cur68 - Apr 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM

“[Expletive] Ozzie”; that should be his new nickname.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Hows about putting it in the middle, like Ozzie “mutha [expletive ] Guillen……like it’s his confirmation name

• cur68 - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Well played ‘blue.

• jimbo1949 - Apr 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Like Dent & Boone?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 28, 2011 at 5:32 PM

YER MY BOY BLUE!!!!!

2. oldnumero7 - Apr 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM

How could Ozzie’s tweet be considered “during a game” when Ozzie was forcibly removed from said game? Sounds like he was doing it on his own time to me.

3. kellyb9 - Apr 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I’d be happy if they just fined him for using twitter.

• largebill - Apr 28, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Actually there is good and bad to his being on twitter. My Spanish is improving from reading his tweets. Unfortunately, I’m also learning broken English from him.

Now, Indians field manager Manny Acta tweets in both languages and his spelling and grammar seem right in both. So, it can be done.

• kellyb9 - Apr 28, 2011 at 1:32 PM

In all seriousness, you are talking about spelling and grammar when someone is limited to 140 characters.

• madhatternalice - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM

kellyb9, you just typed a complete sentence, grammatically correct, in 89 characters. it can be done :)

• kellyb9 - Apr 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Well played madhatternalice… well played

4. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 28, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Stories like these are what makes me despise twitter. It is such an unnecessary distraction that seems to cause more trouble than it’s worth. I am so tired of hearing about various leagues getting mad at players and coaches for using twitter at inappropriate times or saying the wrong thing. Tweeting during halftime or after an ejection seems like an awful decision while being a paid professional.

5. Jonny 5 - Apr 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m a fan of freedom of speech. And everyone already knows that no manager is pleased with getting tossed anyway. He’s just reminding us all, which is ok with me. I think this is more of a team function to control, rather than an MLB issue as well. If the Wsox are ok with it, then MLB can stick it as far as I’m concerned. Ozzie entertains me, which equals $$ to the team in the long run. I’m obviously not the only guy drawn to watching the Wsox more often because of Ozzie. I guess I’m impartial and less regulation is usually the way I fall when on the fence.

• The Rabbit - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Another thing on which we can agree.
      and Jonny, if you see a blonde on a motorcycle with MO tags on the Red Lion Circle in mid-May, it’s probably me. Will be visiting my sis.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM

So will you be on your own motorcycle or the back of one? That’s a nice long drive on bike or will you trailer it up?. Wow!!! That’s living, it should be fun. Will you be hitting the Pic-A-Lili while you’re up? A lot of bikes have been showing up there lately. It’s a nice stop in the pine barrens between your sis and the shore. And they literally have the best wings I’ve ever bought at a restaurant. If you want to call it a restaurant anyway..

• The Rabbit - Apr 28, 2011 at 7:23 PM

I see we agree on Facebook and Twitter, too.
        To answer your questions: It’s always a solo trip. I don’t ride “on the back”. I had to edit that phrase. This is a family site. :-)
        Trailers are for boats. One year, my friends bought me a license plate which is still on my my bike that reads: “If you see this bike on a trailer, Call 911. It’s stolen.” Put 75000 miles on one bike in less than 18 months. It’s only 1100 miles from the Ozarks to Jersey. If the weather’s good and I don’t get sidetracked and take the scenic route, it’s 18 hours. I ride all seasons and most weather. Although not last week…I’m in the tornado-thunderstorm alley and we’re flooded.
        I used to go to Pic-A-Lili when I lived in Jersey. It was one of my M/C club’s regular stops. Yeah, restaurant is an overstatement. Seedy bar with great wings and cold beer is closer.
        I’m going to see the Phillies when I’m in. On the way home, I’ve got a ticket at PNC for a Braves/Pirates game….Oh, and I’m having lunch with one of Craig’s minions whose nickname you would recognize from posts on this site. Should be fun.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Agreed totally (then again, i’m one of those raging Libertarians)

On a side note…..Maybe Mark Cuban would be the perfect owner for the White Sox at this point…..they could have tweeter twiddle biddle battles

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Freedom of speech is one thing, but most employers will take action if you publish negative information or opinions about their product.

I am not privy to Ozzie’s contract, but I bet there are some provisions limiting what he can and can’t say publicly about the White Sox, MLB etc etc. This isn’t really a First Amendment issue here.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM

“This isn’t really a First Amendment issue here.”
        I know, I’m a fan of people speaking their mind, and I don’t like control over that by an employer much either. I feel even though you can work anywhere and it’s a choice, they shouldn’t try too hard to regulate them from expressing their minds as they wish. I know they can fire them if they wish to as well. I think leaving it up to the team will leave more of an opening for guys like Ozzie to do what they do, which ends up being good for the Wsox, which in turn is good for baseball.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:32 PM

You’re right, Jonny. I kind of like twitter, but am not obsessed with it. And I don’ need no stinkin’ Facebook. But first they tell Ozzie to go, then he’s supposed to sit in the corner with his arms crossed? (Maybe I can see the dunce cap). If MLB can do a trite Dbacks ASG video for a promo, let Ozzie talk. Probably better than Mr. IBM we have.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Yeah I follow a few people on twitter, but i just observe. And I don’t need no stinking facebook either. I never liked it, so I never started an account. I think I opened one in my name a long time ago just to see what it was about but never did anything with it. I’m glad now, who needs “facebook drama” added to an already hectic life right?

6. dmvdmv101560 - Apr 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Ozzie should send a tweet to all of his players telling them that they have sucked so far this year!

7. detiger69 - Apr 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Ozzie “bleeeping” Guillen es una secrerion bocabajeados egomaiac. It is always all about Ozzie.
    He loves to make himself the focus. He thinks nothing of disparaging players, umpires, reporters,
    Hell, even his son in as public a means as possible. It may be entertaining to those of us watching, but it hardly seems to be effective in motivating his team to perform.

Year in and year out his bullpen is a mess. He misuses and abuses his pitchers and then takes to the media to blast them. Bobby Jenks and Matt Thornton come to mind. Chris Sale was used for two innings in a recent game and then was brought back out the next night to try to save the game. Sale has one of the best young arms in the game and Ozzie is endangering it. Ozzie throws his tantrum, proclaims he has no closer, and his team goes in the tank for the next week. Brilliant – Great Motivation!

It’s much like what was tolerated with Manny. It was cute and entertaining for those of us on the outside. But, on the inside, most teams wanted nothing to do with Manny; he was blowing up the club house. I predict that will be the case with Ozzie being Ozzie.

8. rapmusicmademedoit - Apr 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM

baseball would be boring without Ozzie, plus how many people could pull off a name like Ozzie.

9. gmsingh - Apr 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Steroids–you still get in the HOF
    Tweeting inappropriately–you’re in big trouble with the League.

Can’t we just skip the middle part have MLB issue a press release that they have no plans to get their heads out of their asses?

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3466)