Apr 28, 2011, 6:02 PM EDT
Joe Blanton was off to a shaky start as the forgotten man in the Phillies’ star-studded rotation, posting a 5.91 ERA in four starts, and the Phillies just placed him on the disabled list with a right elbow impingement.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Vance Worley will be called up from Triple-A to take Blanton’s turn in the rotation tomorrow against the Mets, which means the Phillies are bypassing Kyle Kendrick for the start.
Worley pitched well in a brief stint with the Phillies last season, tossing 13 innings with a 1.38 ERA and 12/4 K/BB ratio, and the 2008 third-round pick has a 3.44 ERA with solid strikeout and walk numbers in 12 career starts at Triple-A.
In addition to losing Blanton to the DL the Phillies are also unsure if Roy Oswalt will make his next scheduled start after leaving the team to be with his family following the tornadoes near his home in Mississippi.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)