Apr 28, 2011, 6:02 PM EST
Joe Blanton was off to a shaky start as the forgotten man in the Phillies’ star-studded rotation, posting a 5.91 ERA in four starts, and the Phillies just placed him on the disabled list with a right elbow impingement.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Vance Worley will be called up from Triple-A to take Blanton’s turn in the rotation tomorrow against the Mets, which means the Phillies are bypassing Kyle Kendrick for the start.
Worley pitched well in a brief stint with the Phillies last season, tossing 13 innings with a 1.38 ERA and 12/4 K/BB ratio, and the 2008 third-round pick has a 3.44 ERA with solid strikeout and walk numbers in 12 career starts at Triple-A.
In addition to losing Blanton to the DL the Phillies are also unsure if Roy Oswalt will make his next scheduled start after leaving the team to be with his family following the tornadoes near his home in Mississippi.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)