Apr 28, 2011, 4:31 PM EST
Uninvited to the party, though, was Reid Brignac. He managed just a single in five at-bats. The Rays’ starting shortstop has now had 57 at-bats this season and hasn’t managed a double, a triple or a homer in any of them.
That’s quite a change for Brignac, who was annointed the Rays’ starting shortstop after Jason Bartlett was traded to the Padres. He earned the job by collecting eight homers and 13 doubles in 301 at-bats last year. He drove in 45 runs. At that pace over a full season of 550 at-bats, he would have finished with 15 homers and 82 RBI. In his major league career, he had managed an extra-base hit every 12 at-bats.
But to start 2011, Brignac has gone four weeks without one and he’s lost some playing time as a result. It’s enough to make one wonder whether the Rays might send him down when Evan Longoria comes off the DL next week. They’d lose something defensively by going that route, but they do have three shortstop alternatives on the roster in Felipe Lopez, Sean Rodriguez and Elliot Johnson.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)