Apr 28, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman was cleared to resume performing baseball activities earlier this week and he is doing some light drills. But it’s going to be a long time before we see him back in a major league uniform.
Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington watched Zimmerman play a light game of catch on Thursday afternoon and came away thinking that the 26-year-old “won’t be back for awhile.”
Zimmerman is suffering from a strained muscle in his abdomen and hasn’t played since April 9. He still isn’t taking live batting practice and will probably need a week of minor league at-bats before the Nationals deem him ready to return.
Zimmerman posted a .357/.486/.536 with one home run and four RBI through the Nats’ first eight games.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)