Apr 28, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman was cleared to resume performing baseball activities earlier this week and he is doing some light drills. But it’s going to be a long time before we see him back in a major league uniform.
Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington watched Zimmerman play a light game of catch on Thursday afternoon and came away thinking that the 26-year-old “won’t be back for awhile.”
Zimmerman is suffering from a strained muscle in his abdomen and hasn’t played since April 9. He still isn’t taking live batting practice and will probably need a week of minor league at-bats before the Nationals deem him ready to return.
Zimmerman posted a .357/.486/.536 with one home run and four RBI through the Nats’ first eight games.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 19
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)