Apr 28, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
TCU left-hander Matt Purke has been diagnosed with bursitis in his shoulder following a meeting with Dr. James Andrews, which actually qualifies as good news after the projected top-10 draft pick was shut down last week.
Purke lost out on millions of dollars when he failed to sign with the Rangers coming out of high school as the 19th overall pick in the 2009 draft, but prior to the shoulder injury he was dominating enough this season to move up even higher in June’s draft.
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com reports that Purke may be cleared to resume throwing from flat ground as soon as next week and could return to game action in time to make multiple starts before the beginning of the conference tournament on May 24.
How he fares upon returning will obviously go a long way toward determining his draft position, but for now at least it sounds like Purke has avoided anything serious.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)