Apr 28, 2011, 1:25 PM EDT
How bad have the mounting injuries gotten for the Twins? Today they had trainer Rick McWane speak directly to the media because Ron Gardenhire was sick of answering all the health-related questions and the front office was likely sick of the manager giving non-expert half-information to frustrated reporters.
Mauer is eligible to be activated from the disabled list today, but is not close to returning from bilateral leg weakness and McWane admitted that he “wasn’t strong enough to handle everyday catching” coming out of spring training following offseason knee surgery.
He did anyway, starting nine of the first 10 games behind the plate while hitting just .235, but now Mauer is working to strengthen his legs before hopefully beginning a minor-league rehab assignment early next month. McWane told reporters that “the doctors are very confident that he is perfectly healthy other than the orthopedic soreness that he is currently experiencing.”
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 32
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL