Apr 28, 2011, 1:25 PM EST
How bad have the mounting injuries gotten for the Twins? Today they had trainer Rick McWane speak directly to the media because Ron Gardenhire was sick of answering all the health-related questions and the front office was likely sick of the manager giving non-expert half-information to frustrated reporters.
Mauer is eligible to be activated from the disabled list today, but is not close to returning from bilateral leg weakness and McWane admitted that he “wasn’t strong enough to handle everyday catching” coming out of spring training following offseason knee surgery.
He did anyway, starting nine of the first 10 games behind the plate while hitting just .235, but now Mauer is working to strengthen his legs before hopefully beginning a minor-league rehab assignment early next month. McWane told reporters that “the doctors are very confident that he is perfectly healthy other than the orthopedic soreness that he is currently experiencing.”
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)