And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Apr 29, 2011, 4:55 AM EDT

Flight Delays

Yankees 12, White Sox 3:  Well, I was supposed to be at this one.  Instead, my 9:30 AM flight to New York turned into a 12:08 PM flight which then turned into a 3:30 PM flight through Philly, which then turned into a 5:17 PM flight through Philly that was highly unlikely to allow me to make the connection to New York at all last night, let alone in time to see the ballgame. So I made the decision any wise man would make: I called my mom, had her pick me up from the airport and drive me back home so I could at least sleep in my own bed rather than some Philadelphia Ramada Inn.  Not that I ever got too mad or complained too greatly. The same storm system that mildly inconvenienced me killed hundreds the day before so, no, complaining was not exactly the order of the day. OK, some very mild, perspective-laden complaining. But I felt guilty about it afterward.

As you’re reading this on Friday morning I am (cross my fingers!) en route to New York, this time for real. It’s a flight so early that — apologies — this edition of ATH is a slightly truncated one. I’ll be sure to refund your money at my earliest convenience.

As for the Yankees-Sox game: this was one of the more Edwin Jackson starts you’ll ever see. He had a no-hitter going for a while but was still down 2-0. Then it went downhill because Edwin Jackson basically has no idea where the ball is going. 91 pitches in four innings. Quite the trick.

Giants 5, Pirates 2: The species known as Ryan Vogelsongia displays a combination of long life cycles, a seven-year periodicity, and mass emergences. They are closely-related to locusts, but they are not locusts at all, as locusts belong to the order Orthoptera. The nymphs of Ryan Vogelsongia live underground at depths of 30 cm or more, feeding on the juices of plant roots. They stay immobile and go through five development stages before constructing an exit tunnel in the spring of their 7th year, at which time they give up two runs on four hits while striking out eight in five and two-thirds innings.

Rays 15, Twins 3; Rays 6, Twins 1: Ben Zobrist certainly ate his Wheaties yesterday. Eight RBI in the first game and another two in the nightcap.

Indians 8, Royals 2: The Royals sent the worst regular starting pitcher in the history of baseball out to face the first place Indians and achieved the expected results.

Blue Jays 5, Rangers 2: It was a 2-2 tie from the third inning on, but then Darren Oliver got knocked around in the ninth. If you can call having Corey Patterson lay down a bunt RBI single and having Adrian Beltre and Oliver combine for the most confusing and ugly-looking two-run, two-error play you’ll ever see “being knocked around.” The Jays take three of four from Texas.

Mariners 7, Tigers 2: I watched some of this on the laptop while hating life at the airport.  Michael Pineda has seriously nasty stuff. He’s going to throw a no-hitter someday. Or strike out 18 dudes or something.

Red Sox 6, Orioles 2: Jon Lester‘s mastery of Baltimore continues. A 3 for 5, 2 RBI day for Adrian Gonzalez, who is starting to heat up.

Nationals 4, Mets 3: The Mets’ winning streak ends as Livan Hernandez hangs ‘em out to dry for eight innings. Like he as some kind of launderer or something.

Cardinals 11, Astros 7: Five RBI for Lance Berkman against his old team. Take that, Milo Hamilton.

Diamondbacks 11, Cubs 2: Ryan Dempster lasted one-third on an inning. Gave up seven runs in that time.  Yikes.

1. jkcalhoun - Apr 29, 2011 at 5:33 AM

From the Royals Authority article, written by Craig Brown –

Kyle Davies is the worst starting pitcher in the history of the game.

That’s probably what he wrote after he threw his remote at the TV, not during the game but hours afterward, just thinking about the time he wasted watching yet another start by Davies.

Before that, what he wrote makes a strong case that Davies is the worst starting pitcher in the history of the game among those “good” enough to make at least 125+ starts. I’m on board: Davies’ is truly a historical performance.

2. uyf1950 - Apr 29, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Yankees are 14-8 after 22 games. The best record in the AL East and the 2nd best record in the American League. Not bad for a team that no one considered capable of winning the division. By all accounts they should be and should have been a poor 3rd to last years AL Champion Rangers and they never even should have been playing on the same field as the Red Sox (the best team on paper). The team most if not all the experts were ready to hand the World Series title to before even one game was played. All of that may still come to pass but for now the Yankees are the team the others are trying to catch in the East and that’s with a make shift starting rotation that everyone laughed at, at the start of the season. That just my opinion.

• Chris Fiorentino - Apr 29, 2011 at 8:22 AM

You’re delusional.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 29, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Dare I mention that there was a certain SS missing from our lineup last night, thus not impeding our 6th inning heroics? Nah, better not, his replacement had 2 errors.

• Ari Collins - Apr 29, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Dude. You’d think your team was the Orioles. You know, a team that everyone ACTUALLY wrote off. NO ONE said the Yankees weren’t going to contend this year. NO ONE said they were incapable of winning the AL East. Just that the back end of their rotation looked questionable and the Red Sox looked a couple games better on paper.

You have every reason to be happy about your team’s start. But you’re deluding yourself with this false sense of, “We showed them!” There was no one to show.

• spudchukar - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM

UYF, my Bud, congratulations to your hot start. But before the high altitude sends you into a dizzying nirvana, may I remind you the schedule gods had you playing 20 of your first 28 games at home. No other team in the majors has received such fortune. The ugly Spring weather has also allowed you to by-pass your less than stellar back end of the rotation on occasion. Kudos are in order to Bucksdude et al for their choice of Freddie and Bartolo who have recaptured flashes of their old self. However, soon some other flashes of their old selves are bound to emerge. Your boppers are bopping and while that will certainly continue, the degree may lessen a little. Let me also be the first to admit that I was the harshest of critics of the Martin acquisition, and to date I have been proven extremely wrong. I still maintain that you will see some defensive lapses to come, and the power numbers will come down, but to date he has made my doubts look foolish.

On the bright side, Soriano, Gardner, Swisher and yes even Jeter should improve, which should offset the return to earth of Granderson and Martin. But those dog days of August, in which you play only 9 home games still loom. I agree by then you will have purchased two or more starters to replace the ones currently occupying the rotation, but it won’t be Carpenter.

And yes, as of today the team you dissed as incapable of having the horses to stay with you throughout 2011, lurk, and when one basks in the glorious sunshine of success, those rays, ah Those Rays, always cast a forbidding shadow.

• uyf1950 - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM

spudchukar, my friend. The schedule is what it is. As for your comment about the weather allowing the Yankees to bypass the back end of the rotation in retrospect or hindsight the way the “back end” of the rotation has pitched I’m not sure the weather gods did the Yankees any favors.

My friend, let’s see how the next 10 or 11 days play out I believe at that point on May 9th both the Rays and the Yankees will have played 18 home games and the Red Sox will have played 20 home games (2 more then both the Yankees or the Rays). We’ll see at that time if the Yankees have have been able to maintain their lead or whether they lost it or increased it and against who.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say on Monday May 9th before any games are played the Yankees will have at least a 1.5 game lead over the 2nd place team (the same lead they hold before play today). Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But I don’t think I will be…and that’s just my opinion.

BTW, just a little tidbit of information and I’m sure my friend Ari will find some new way of evaluating the starting rotations that will render what I’m about to say useless but I’ll say it anyway. Through the games played yesterday. The Yankees current starting rotation without (Hughes) had and combined ERA of 3.08 the Red Sox starting rotation a combined ERA of 3.91
        Just so people don’t think I’m cherry picking the pitchers even if you include Hughes numbers in the rotation the Yankees ERA for the 6 pitchers is 3.88. Not bad for one ace (CC), one head case (AJ), one very inexperienced rookie (Nova), and 2 re-threads (Colon & Garcia) and Hughes in the later example.
        That’s all for this time, until next time. Enjoy.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM

uyf- See, that’s why we make a good tag-team like Hal and Hank. There’s really a lot of fans of the Universe around these parts and everyone contributes. Did you ever notice that sometimes there are 72 “thumbs up” (or down) on a 26 comment thread. We’re the leaders along with half a dozen others whom I won’t list for fear of omission, and we hold up our banner proudly.
        I like the way you use strong analysis, like Hal. I’ll do the Hank thing and yell “FIRE THE FAT TOAD” or “SIGN JARED WEAVER AND THAT KING GUY” and just let everyone yell at me. A good time is had by all.

• indaburg - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM

You don’t exactly have a stronghold on the AL East. The Red Sox, with their sub .500 record, are only 4 games back from 1st place. The Rays are breathing down the Yankees’ neck at 1.5 games back. The Yankees aren’t exactly running away with the division. It’s not so much that the Yankees are overachieving. It’s more of a matter of the rest of the division underachieving. All I’m saying is, don’t get too comfortable in first place. And that’s my opinion.

• Ari Collins - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM

uyf, the problem is that we CAN and SHOULD deny that either of those things were true. Who was picking the Yankees to be a below 90-win team? Who was saying they were way worse than anyone? The consensus was that they were about a 94-win team, and that the Sox were a couple games ahead of that, which is better on paper but not by much. Look at predictions of who will make the postseason and you’ll see almost everyone had the Yankees in it as the division champion or the WC.

This is not some cinderella story where everyone wrote the Yankees off and now they’re proving the doubters wrong. This is a 95-win team playing as a 100-win team for the first 22 games in a home-heavy schedule. The only noteworthy thing that’s happened is that your #2 was terrible/hurt while the back end of the rotation has been excellent so far. End result: about what we expected.

As to the consensus handing the WS to the Sox, no one with any sense was doing that, let alone a consensus. Boston was a better team on paper, but only by a couple games, and just because they had the best chance to win the WS doesn’t mean it was better than, like, 10%. Maybe. No one said Boston was a lock, nor even picking them over the field.

It’s easy to think your team is being hated on. But the consensus was not anywhere near as hard on your team as you seem to think.

• uyf1950 - Apr 29, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Ari – there you go again misrepresenting my comments today. Nowhere, nohow did I say that anyone said the Yankees were were a sub 90 win team. I’ll say this one more time for you and it really isn’t that hard to comprehend the Yankees were picked a poor 3rd behind the 2010 AL champion Rangers and the Red Sox. In fact I did hear prior to the start of the season some fans thinking out loud that the Red Sox were a 100 win team and If I’m not mistaken one or two current Red Sox players said that very thing in interviews. Unless you had your head in the sand all FA and spring training after the Red Sox signed Crawford and Gonzalez the “so called” experts and most fans on this site and others were tripping over themselves eluding to the anticipated 2011 World Series match up between the Red Sox and the Phillies. To deny that fact is to deny that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west…and that’s not my opinion that’s a fact.

• uyf1950 - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Come on guys I’m not the one that’s imagining things. Let me try and address some of your comments.
      Ari, first some of your comments. You’re misrepresenting my original post. What I said was that they (Yankees) were picked a poor 3rd to the Rangers and the Red Sox. No one here can deny that that wasn’t the consensus of opinion. No one can deny that virtually everyone was ready to hand the World Series to either the Red Sox or the Phillies. As for the Yankee rotation. Again virtually everyone questioned the rotation after CC and that’s a fact. It wasn’t just the back end of the rotation (#4 &5). Everyone laughed when the Yankees signed Colon and Garcia. Not many are laughing now.
      indaburg – I never said the Yankees had a stronghold on the east in fact check out the next to the last sentence of my original post above. I go out of my way to make that clear that, that is not the case. Also, when you get a chance check out last years standing as of April 30, 2010 after approximately the same number of games. I think you will find that the Yankees weren’t in 1st place then and the Red Sox were 4.5 games behind them (Yankees) then almost the same exact number as of today.

BTW before anyone brings up Red Sox injuries the bulk (not all) of their injuries occurred from May 1, 2010 through July 15, 2010. But understand that during that very same time their replacement players played at a winning clip of .615 probably far better then what the regulars would have achieved during that same time.

All I’m saying is that I believe the Yankees are playing far better then anyone expected them to be playing even or especially this early with their current starting rotation with Martin catching and with the “old guy” manning 3rd base and the even “older guy” at SS. Anyone that says they gave the Yankees rotation a lick of a chance after they lost out on Lee and Andy Pettitte retired and with AJ’s inconsistencies (and I’m being kind with that one) are the delusional ones.

…and that’s the truth and my opinion.

3. Old Gator - Apr 29, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Craig, you ain’t the only one travelling today. I’m sitting in the Admirals Club at MIA at 6:30 AM – just downed my second cup of liquid pacemaker and am almost sentient – and that plodding phony “Royal” spectacle is on every screen, as though CNN really wants me to go back to sleep. This is a lame attempt to thicken the gene pool of a bunch of inbred macroparasites. We can at least be grateful that Charles abdicated to marry his Rottweiler (I would prefer a Catahoula leopard hound myself), so at least the chromosomes for those ridiculous ears ought to go recessive for a generation or two. How can they be tying up so much bandwidth for this circus minimus when analysts are still trying to parse the first round of the NFL draft?

Our priorities are skewed like a spitfull of speidies in a Binghamton bar and grill.

Incidentally, if you notice daylight through the ceiling of your plane, make sure your seatbelt is tight, the tips of the handles of your glasses are bent firmly inward, and you’ve sipped the froth off your beer. At least you can be confident that the pressure differential won’t get much of a grip on the top of your head.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 29, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Is the pressure differential akin to the strange attractor? This is the one day I can finally get away with the royal “we” in my escapades.

• Old Gator - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I was strangely attracted to the astonishingly beautiful woman sitting just behind and to my right on the plane – she was dragging one of those advertising model’s little portfolio carts so I guess she was a model of some sort, unsurprisingly. The strange attraction resulted in a pressure differential that Bernoulli would have appreciated, so yeah, maybe they are related.

• jwbiii - Apr 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM

The Manchester Guardian published a list of viewing recommendations for a wedding free, TV viewing, couch potato day.

The remaining schedule:

“2pm-3pm: Mantracker, Extreme Sports
      A documentary about the Canadian wilderness. Still more exciting than hearing third-hand news about the type of bread rolls being served at the royal reception.

3pm-4pm: Man v Food, Good Food
      A man gorging himself on as much food as he possibly can for an hour. Basically what the wedding guests will be currently doing, but in a slightly more entertaining way.”

Have fun!

• Jonny 5 - Apr 29, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Who needs local news in the morning when you can have 4 different channels broadcasting the same stuffy multimillion dollar tax payer funded wedding?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM

At least it’s not our money funding it.

I didn’t watch it—I do need to get ready for and go to work, after all. But I’m alright with them airing it (though it is over the top, but at least London is a lot cleaner than it was last week). There’s obviously an interested market willing to sit there for the seven or eight ungodly early hours to watch. I also look at it as a peek inside a different country and their culture.

Now, I’d be interested in whether Seisenta y ocho, kiwicricket and/or proudly canadian had their peepers peeled to the tube for it, since Canadia is England lite (or something) and Down Under was originally a British penal colony.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Besides, if someone isn’t interested in watching, there are a bazillion* other channels.

(*might be slight exaggeration)

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Aren’t there 24 hour reruns of the “Man Show” on Comedy Central or something?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Watching Juggies instead of Kate?

• raysfan1 - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Taxes paying for a royal wedding?! Why, that’s outrageous! Quick, everyone, let’s all go down to the harbor and throw all the tea in! Oh, wait…umm…never mind

• APBA Guy - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

OG, 6:30 in MIA is far, far too early for a man of leisure. And Admiral’s Club coffee when cafe cubano is so close at hand, it truly is a wasted day. Resolve yourself now “this will never happen again”. Nothing is worth a 6:00 am TSA frisk.

• Old Gator - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM

The Admiral’s Club at MIA has both cafe Cubano and cafe con leche, both pretty serviceable. They’d damnedwell better be. If you averaged my annual club dues into them, they’d be about ten dollars a cup. They also have pretty good empanadas de guyaba y queso, croquetas de jamon and papas rellenas. You can continue to be a whiteboy Cubano wannabe until you’re just about on the plane here.

But I’m in Cincinnati now, where the majestic Ohio River is at critical flood stage and I have a feeling that a hard slide into second tonight might result in the shortstop getting badly flippered.

4. paperlions - Apr 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM

What is the record for most consecutive game appearances without retiring a batter? Trever Miller is up to 5. Yay situational lefty!

• proudlycanadian - Apr 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM

At least he is consistent!

• jwbiii - Apr 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Joe Morgan approves!

5. indaburg - Apr 29, 2011 at 10:56 AM

After his 10 RBI day, and becoming the newly minted RBI leader of the AL, Zobrist himself said, “So this is what it feels like to be Sam Fuld.”

6. Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM

There Craig goes again, blaming Philly for his trials and tribulations. :P

7. tomemos - Apr 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Vogelsong, of course, is who the Giants traded the Pirates for Jason Schmidt at the height of his powers. Someone tweeted yesterday, “The Giants may as well see who the Pirates would trade for Vogelsong this time.”

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3883)