Apr 29, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
Barmes, who was acquired from the Rockies in November to take over as the Astros’ starting shortstop, returns from the injury in five weeks after initially being given a 4-6 week recovery timetable.
He’s been a plus defender at second base and shortstop for the Rockies, but Barmes is likely to disappoint offensively now that he’s no longer calling Coors Field home. His overall numbers have never been particularly impressive, but Barmes has been downright terrible on the road throughout his career, hitting just .224 with a .266 on-base percentage and .352 slugging percentage in 1,264 plate appearances.
To make room for Barmes on the roster the Astros designated veteran utility man Joe Inglett for assignment.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 21
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 28
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)