Apr 29, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Brian Matusz threw a 35-pitch bullpen session yesterday and afterward the injured Orioles starter called it “a big step forward” in his recovery from a strained intercostal muscle.
Jeff Seidel of MLB.com reports that Matusz threw fastballs and off-speed pitches while reporting no problems and will now head to extended spring training in Florida.
Barring a setback next week he could be cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment and potentially rejoin the Orioles’ rotation at some point in mid-May.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner