Apr 29, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Brian Matusz threw a 35-pitch bullpen session yesterday and afterward the injured Orioles starter called it “a big step forward” in his recovery from a strained intercostal muscle.
Jeff Seidel of MLB.com reports that Matusz threw fastballs and off-speed pitches while reporting no problems and will now head to extended spring training in Florida.
Barring a setback next week he could be cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment and potentially rejoin the Orioles’ rotation at some point in mid-May.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)