Apr 29, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Brian Matusz threw a 35-pitch bullpen session yesterday and afterward the injured Orioles starter called it “a big step forward” in his recovery from a strained intercostal muscle.
Jeff Seidel of MLB.com reports that Matusz threw fastballs and off-speed pitches while reporting no problems and will now head to extended spring training in Florida.
Barring a setback next week he could be cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment and potentially rejoin the Orioles’ rotation at some point in mid-May.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32