Apr 29, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Brian Matusz threw a 35-pitch bullpen session yesterday and afterward the injured Orioles starter called it “a big step forward” in his recovery from a strained intercostal muscle.
Jeff Seidel of MLB.com reports that Matusz threw fastballs and off-speed pitches while reporting no problems and will now head to extended spring training in Florida.
Barring a setback next week he could be cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment and potentially rejoin the Orioles’ rotation at some point in mid-May.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 0
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 154
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (154)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (70)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)