Apr 29, 2011, 8:22 PM EST
Entering Friday’s action, Brian Roberts has started all 23 games for the Orioles this season, yet he only has two stolen bases. Some have speculated that his balky back could be a factor for his inactivity on the basepaths, but Roberts told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com earlier today that he has been slowed early in the season due to a hamstring injury.
“I actually had a hamstring [injury] for about three weeks and nobody knew about it,” said Roberts, who said he started feeling discomfort in his right hamstring at the end of spring training. “I wanted to be on the field and I knew if I was trying to run recklessly, I probably wouldn’t have been able to stay in the lineup. But it’s gotten a lot better,” said Roberts, who stole his second base of the season, and first since April 6, on Thursday.
Roberts stole 12 bases in an injury-shortened 2010 season, but swiped at least 23 bases in the previous seven seasons. Though he’s now 33 years old and increasingly injury-prone, he tells Ghiroli that he’s confident he can get back to being the same player.
“I want to run and I think I still can run. I think I can still steal 30 bases and that’s what I’m hoping to do.”
Roberts is batting .253/.287/.411 with three homers and 16 RBI over his first 101 plate appearances this season.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)