Apr 29, 2011, 7:50 PM EST
The left side of the Dodgers’ infield just took another hit.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Casey Blake underwent surgery on his infected left elbow and could be back in four weeks. The 37-year-old third baseman was officially placed on the disabled list earlier today.
Blake began the year on the disabled list with lower back pain, but was batting .321/.446/.509 with two homers and six RBI over his 66 plate appearances this season.
If tonight’s lineup against the Padres is any indication, the Dodgers will apparently forge ahead with Juan Uribe at third base and Aaron Miles at second. Russell Mitchell has been recalled from Triple-A Albuquerque to take Blake’s place on the active roster.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)