Derek Lowe “was allegedly racing another driver” at the time of DUI arrest

Apr 29, 2011, 11:06 AM EDT

derek lowe mugshot

Further details about Derek Lowe‘s arrest last night are becoming available, with Mike Morris of the Atlanta Journal Constitution now reporting that the Braves right-hander “was allegedly racing another driver” when he was booked for a DUI.

State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright told Morris that “troopers observed two vehicles racing on Peachtree Road and were able to get both vehicles stopped.”

Lowe, who was driving a 2011 Porsche Panamera at approximately 10:00 p.m., was charged with a DUI and reckless driving, while the other driver was charged only with reckless driving.

This morning the Braves issued the following statement regarding Lowe’s arrest:

Obviously we are concerned and disappointed about the events involving Derek Lowe overnight. We are currently gathering information and plan to address this matter later today.

He’s the fifth MLB player to be arrested for a DUI in 2011.

1. phukyouk - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:10 AM

did he hit get in the 90’s?

2. heyblueyoustink - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Well Opiedamus my friend, that’s all the suspicion they need to get him to jump through flaming hoops if law enforcement sees fit.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Unless of course they were using the Reds’ radar gun to clock his speed.

• opiedamus - Apr 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM

spud, completely agree with you. There influence is borderline unethical and, yet, no one is willing to film a documentary about them……I guess the saying “if Momma ain’t happy, no one is happy” scares too many.

• opiedamus - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Agreed they have a reason to be suspicious of a Porsche family truckster racing down P’tree. However, you don’t have to jump through the flaming hoops. Saying that, you have to be willing to accept the consequences of not jumping through said flaming hoops.

In Ga, you have the right to refuse roadside sobriety tests and to refuse the faulty breathalyzer. You will be taken to jail and you will be charged with a DUI. You will then have to defend yourself vigorously.

I am not supporting drunk driving, but the way the laws are set up, it is purely a revenue grab for local and state governments. Saying that, racing or appearing to race, down P’tree is just plain ignorant.

Of course, shouldn’t Lowe have been charged with speeding too if that were the case? Or can they not prove that w/their loaned radar guns from the Reds?!? (another good line from you, sir. Dare I say you are en fuego today?!?)

• spudchukar - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I stated this in the other post, but will repeat it again. In many states you do not have the right to a blood test, and cannot refuse the Breathalyzer.

Driving drunk, especially with a BAC over .15 is reprehensible. Doing so while speeding is beyond stupid.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I hope he learns to maybe lay up next time from such foolishness……just like his apparent idol according to the mug shot: Roy MacEvoy

• opiedamus - Apr 29, 2011 at 1:06 PM

@ spudchukar: in Ga, you do have the right to request a blood test and you do have the right to refuse the breathalyzer.

But I agree w/your last comments. Can I infer that you don’t, necessarily, agree that the standard limit should be gauged at .08? .15 is where it used to be and anyone at that level is clearly a danger.

• spudchukar - Apr 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Opie, I was trying to point out that some states differ, not questioning your representation of GA laws. Yes, I agree the .08 is exceedingly harsh, can we not create a gradient that punishes accordingly. Yes, .15 is a danger, but not more so than, texting, applying mascara, or browsing
        through ones CD collection. The MADD organizations and their ilk are not concerned so much with safety as with demonizing alcohol use.

• opiedamus - Apr 29, 2011 at 2:02 PM

3. jamie54 - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

So there’s 750 players in MLB so the odds that only one player is drinking to a little excess on any one night? Slim to none. Lowe only got caught doing something stupid so he deserved it. How many out there don’t get caught? Lots, I’d bet.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM

And that’s supposed to make it acceptable?

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Hair! Is that the new “stern fatherly-like” font your using there?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Blue, I don’t know what you’re talking about. But if you don’t tell me, so help me…. Don’t make me come back there!!!!!!

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Fine fine, I’ll clean my room, mow the lawn, do the dishes, and clip the dog’s nails…..can I borrow the car tonight?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 2:12 PM

I don’t know—you did get that F in that Ancient Greek test last week.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM

But seriously, Blue, what font are you talking about? It looks normal to me.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I was in the act of being fecish good friend…….your statement just sounded like a response my father gave me in my youth on just about any transgression I ever tried to justify

• Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Aha…gotcha. Now go get me a beer, you useless mooch. And get a hair cut. Why, when I was YOUR age….

4. Panda Claus - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM

So much for Porche’s Panamera being a 4-door “family” sedan. At least no one was hurt.

5. Phillies Homer - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I wonder if he tried to pull the Chappelle line, “I’m sorry officer. I did not know I couldn’t do that…”

6. ThatGuy - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Memo to Derek Lowe: You make $15,000,000.00 a year. Cabs cost $30 or so. That is .000002 of your salary, take one.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Yeah but cabbies ALWAYS lose drag races on you…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM

How will he race then?

• jimbo1949 - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Too much money, too little maturity. 1 month shy of 38 (shakes head)

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM

The Porsche Panamera is the ugliest freaking car. Gross. I can’t believe anyone would buy that four-door atrocity when there is every other Porsche in existence to choose over. You want a fast four-door? See the other three luxury German car makers.

• ThatGuy - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Kind of looks like a hatchback or something

• Chris Fiorentino's Rash - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Four door makes it easier to get 3 drunk hookers in your car…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:39 PM

and two in the trunk! hey-ooooooooooooooooooooo

• Jonny 5 - Apr 29, 2011 at 1:18 PM

uhh, Bravo, you can only fit 2 hookers in the trunk if both are also members of the Lolipop guild.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Jonny, Heyward’s a Braves fan from Chi Town—he wasn’t referring to whole, intact hookers.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM

ewwwwwwwww

8. Jack Marshall - Apr 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Alcohol abuse has been a problem for Lowe for many years, apparently. It was reported as a factor in Boston’s decision not to keep him around, as there was suspicion that his rather wild fluctuations in effectiveness were related to his off-the-field habits. I had assumed that he had put this behind him, and hope it was just a momentary relapse.

Realistically, however, it probably wasn’t.

9. philly56 - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:06 PM

The drinking was bad enough, but now we find out he also thought he was vin diesel in one of those terrible movies – “I live my life a quarter mile at a time!!!!!”

What a buffoon

10. dexterismyhero - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Did he then call the cops fa**ots and threaten them with a bat?

Oh, that was Roger……

• Utley's Hair - Apr 29, 2011 at 2:19 PM

The Braves haven’t had a great week.

11. ricofoy - Apr 29, 2011 at 1:38 PM

And now Lowe will apologize, made a mistake, never do it again…blah, blah, blah. Who cares? I want to know what the other dude was driving and who was winning.

12. tgthree - Apr 29, 2011 at 3:42 PM

A question for commenters more knowledgeable than me: Could the Braves terminate Lowe’s contract over this incident? Not that they would actually do that, seeing as this is pro sports and no one seems to much care about these things. But as a huge Braves fan who is beyond embarrassed over this (and McDowell’s indiscretion), it would at least make me feel better about Lowe being on the roster if I knew that the Braves were going to have to pay him regardless.

Final take away from World Series