Apr 29, 2011, 11:06 AM EDT
Further details about Derek Lowe‘s arrest last night are becoming available, with Mike Morris of the Atlanta Journal Constitution now reporting that the Braves right-hander “was allegedly racing another driver” when he was booked for a DUI.
State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright told Morris that “troopers observed two vehicles racing on Peachtree Road and were able to get both vehicles stopped.”
Lowe, who was driving a 2011 Porsche Panamera at approximately 10:00 p.m., was charged with a DUI and reckless driving, while the other driver was charged only with reckless driving.
This morning the Braves issued the following statement regarding Lowe’s arrest:
Obviously we are concerned and disappointed about the events involving Derek Lowe overnight. We are currently gathering information and plan to address this matter later today.
He’s the fifth MLB player to be arrested for a DUI in 2011.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)