Apr 29, 2011, 11:06 AM EDT
Further details about Derek Lowe‘s arrest last night are becoming available, with Mike Morris of the Atlanta Journal Constitution now reporting that the Braves right-hander “was allegedly racing another driver” when he was booked for a DUI.
State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright told Morris that “troopers observed two vehicles racing on Peachtree Road and were able to get both vehicles stopped.”
Lowe, who was driving a 2011 Porsche Panamera at approximately 10:00 p.m., was charged with a DUI and reckless driving, while the other driver was charged only with reckless driving.
This morning the Braves issued the following statement regarding Lowe’s arrest:
Obviously we are concerned and disappointed about the events involving Derek Lowe overnight. We are currently gathering information and plan to address this matter later today.
He’s the fifth MLB player to be arrested for a DUI in 2011.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)