Apr 29, 2011, 11:06 AM EDT
Further details about Derek Lowe‘s arrest last night are becoming available, with Mike Morris of the Atlanta Journal Constitution now reporting that the Braves right-hander “was allegedly racing another driver” when he was booked for a DUI.
State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright told Morris that “troopers observed two vehicles racing on Peachtree Road and were able to get both vehicles stopped.”
Lowe, who was driving a 2011 Porsche Panamera at approximately 10:00 p.m., was charged with a DUI and reckless driving, while the other driver was charged only with reckless driving.
This morning the Braves issued the following statement regarding Lowe’s arrest:
Obviously we are concerned and disappointed about the events involving Derek Lowe overnight. We are currently gathering information and plan to address this matter later today.
He’s the fifth MLB player to be arrested for a DUI in 2011.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 1
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 87
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (87)