Apr 29, 2011, 11:06 AM EST
Further details about Derek Lowe‘s arrest last night are becoming available, with Mike Morris of the Atlanta Journal Constitution now reporting that the Braves right-hander “was allegedly racing another driver” when he was booked for a DUI.
State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright told Morris that “troopers observed two vehicles racing on Peachtree Road and were able to get both vehicles stopped.”
Lowe, who was driving a 2011 Porsche Panamera at approximately 10:00 p.m., was charged with a DUI and reckless driving, while the other driver was charged only with reckless driving.
This morning the Braves issued the following statement regarding Lowe’s arrest:
Obviously we are concerned and disappointed about the events involving Derek Lowe overnight. We are currently gathering information and plan to address this matter later today.
He’s the fifth MLB player to be arrested for a DUI in 2011.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 29
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 60
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)