Apr 29, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Jason Donald, who was the favorite to act as the Indians’ primary third baseman before suffering a broken hand on March 4, was activated from the disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Columbus on Friday.
The move comes as no surprise, given Jack Hannahan‘s strong play at the hot corner for Cleveland. Hannahan, a journeyman long known more for his glove than for his bat, hit two homers Tuesday and is batting .290/.364/.522 in 69 at-bats for the season.
With Adam Everett also playing well in his utility role, there simply wasn’t room for Donald right now. Odds are that he’ll be return as a part-timer within a couple of months, but he’s likely better off playing regularly for Columbus than he would be starting once or twice a week in Cleveland anyway.
Of course, the Columbus infield is getting crowded, too. The Pirates announced today that Rule 5 pick Josh Rodriguez cleared waivers and was returned to the Indians. Rodriguez, who went 1-for-12 after making the Pirates out of spring training, is slated to join Donald, Luis Valbuena and top prospect Lonnie Chisenhall on the Clippers roster.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 136
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 50
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)