Apr 29, 2011, 2:30 PM EST
Jason Donald, who was the favorite to act as the Indians’ primary third baseman before suffering a broken hand on March 4, was activated from the disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Columbus on Friday.
The move comes as no surprise, given Jack Hannahan‘s strong play at the hot corner for Cleveland. Hannahan, a journeyman long known more for his glove than for his bat, hit two homers Tuesday and is batting .290/.364/.522 in 69 at-bats for the season.
With Adam Everett also playing well in his utility role, there simply wasn’t room for Donald right now. Odds are that he’ll be return as a part-timer within a couple of months, but he’s likely better off playing regularly for Columbus than he would be starting once or twice a week in Cleveland anyway.
Of course, the Columbus infield is getting crowded, too. The Pirates announced today that Rule 5 pick Josh Rodriguez cleared waivers and was returned to the Indians. Rodriguez, who went 1-for-12 after making the Pirates out of spring training, is slated to join Donald, Luis Valbuena and top prospect Lonnie Chisenhall on the Clippers roster.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (130)