Apr 29, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Jason Donald, who was the favorite to act as the Indians’ primary third baseman before suffering a broken hand on March 4, was activated from the disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Columbus on Friday.
The move comes as no surprise, given Jack Hannahan‘s strong play at the hot corner for Cleveland. Hannahan, a journeyman long known more for his glove than for his bat, hit two homers Tuesday and is batting .290/.364/.522 in 69 at-bats for the season.
With Adam Everett also playing well in his utility role, there simply wasn’t room for Donald right now. Odds are that he’ll be return as a part-timer within a couple of months, but he’s likely better off playing regularly for Columbus than he would be starting once or twice a week in Cleveland anyway.
Of course, the Columbus infield is getting crowded, too. The Pirates announced today that Rule 5 pick Josh Rodriguez cleared waivers and was returned to the Indians. Rodriguez, who went 1-for-12 after making the Pirates out of spring training, is slated to join Donald, Luis Valbuena and top prospect Lonnie Chisenhall on the Clippers roster.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 22
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 138
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)