Apr 29, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Kevin Youkilis put a little fright into Red Sox Nation* on Thursday night when he made an eighth-inning exit from the club’s 6-2 victory over the Orioles.
It turns out he’s going to be just fine.
According to the great Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, Youk** told reporters after the game that he only jammed his hip and expects to play in Friday’s series opener against the visiting Mariners. He initially got banged up in the first inning Thursday while trying to break up a double play and thought it wise to make a precautionary early exit.
“I just slid and it got a little locked up,” the third baseman said late Thursday. “As the game went on, it locked up a little bit more, but I should be good to play [Friday]. It was bugging me, and Tito said, ‘Give it a rest so you can play tomorrow.’ “
Youkilis, 32, is sporting a team-best .869 OPS through 94 plate appearances this season. If the Red Sox want to play it safe, they can start Jed Lowrie at the hot corner Friday and Marco Scutaro at shortstop.
*A dumb and unoriginal nickname
**A dumb and unoriginal nickname
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 11
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)