Apr 29, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Kevin Youkilis put a little fright into Red Sox Nation* on Thursday night when he made an eighth-inning exit from the club’s 6-2 victory over the Orioles.
It turns out he’s going to be just fine.
According to the great Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, Youk** told reporters after the game that he only jammed his hip and expects to play in Friday’s series opener against the visiting Mariners. He initially got banged up in the first inning Thursday while trying to break up a double play and thought it wise to make a precautionary early exit.
“I just slid and it got a little locked up,” the third baseman said late Thursday. “As the game went on, it locked up a little bit more, but I should be good to play [Friday]. It was bugging me, and Tito said, ‘Give it a rest so you can play tomorrow.’ “
Youkilis, 32, is sporting a team-best .869 OPS through 94 plate appearances this season. If the Red Sox want to play it safe, they can start Jed Lowrie at the hot corner Friday and Marco Scutaro at shortstop.
*A dumb and unoriginal nickname
**A dumb and unoriginal nickname
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 26
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)