Apr 29, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
After playing 11 seasons with the Astros as one of the best players in franchise history Lance Berkman returned to Houston for the first time and was met by some pretty harsh criticism from local announcer Milo Hamilton.
Berkman handled things about as well as possible in responding to the criticism and then responded with his bat by collecting eight hits and seven RBIs in three games against the Astros, including a pair of homers last night.
Here’s what he said after the game:
I don’t think I could have asked for a better return to Minute Maid. It’s not something like I came in here with a vendetta, or something to prove. I just wanted to play well in front of my family. I can’t imagine I’ll ever come into this building and not think about 11 years of great memories. One series doesn’t put that to bed. It will always be a special place to me.
Berkman is now hitting .410 with with eight homers, eight doubles, and a 1.263 OPS through 22 games for the Cardinals, leading the league in slugging percentage and OPS while ranking second in batting average, homers, and RBIs.
I liked the Cardinals’ decision to sign Berkman to a one-year, $8 million deal, but my question was whether he’d bounce back enough offensively from a career-worst season to make up for some ugly defense. His glove in right field has been every bit as shaky as expected, but so far at least the 35-year-old Berkman is hot enough at the plate that no one cares.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)