Apr 29, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Mike Pelfrey has been cleared to start tonight’s series opener against the Phillies, despite a recent flu bug that caused him to lose 11 pounds over the course of the past week.
“He said he feels much better today, and better than he did his last start,” Terry Collins said. “We’re going to let him go out there tomorrow.”
Pelfrey actually tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the Diamondbacks last Friday night. It was his best outing of the young season, though as he told the New York Post in excruciating detail, he wasn’t feeling too hot.
“I started getting ready for the game and I started getting real hot and started sweating,” Pelfrey said. “Felt it in my stomach, head and chest. I went out to the bullpen, my bullpen wasn’t very good. I kept coughing. In the sixth inning I puked in my mouth and swallowed it on the mound.”
What’s everyone having for lunch today?
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)