Apr 29, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
Mike Pelfrey has been cleared to start tonight’s series opener against the Phillies, despite a recent flu bug that caused him to lose 11 pounds over the course of the past week.
“He said he feels much better today, and better than he did his last start,” Terry Collins said. “We’re going to let him go out there tomorrow.”
Pelfrey actually tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the Diamondbacks last Friday night. It was his best outing of the young season, though as he told the New York Post in excruciating detail, he wasn’t feeling too hot.
“I started getting ready for the game and I started getting real hot and started sweating,” Pelfrey said. “Felt it in my stomach, head and chest. I went out to the bullpen, my bullpen wasn’t very good. I kept coughing. In the sixth inning I puked in my mouth and swallowed it on the mound.”
What’s everyone having for lunch today?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)