Apr 29, 2011, 4:06 PM EST
MLB announced that White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has been suspended two games and fined an undisclosed amount of money for commenting on Twitter after being ejected from Wednesday’s game against the Yankees.
This one going to cost me a lot money this is patetic
Today a tough guy show up a yankee stadium
MLB’s press release notes that the suspension was also due in part to “his actions on the field” that led to the ejection, but clearly without the tweeting there would be no significant punishment dished out. Social media usage during games is prohibited, although Guillen is the first non-player to truly put that to the test. He’s a pioneer, really.
And as someone who enjoys his tweets, I’m hoping this doesn’t cause Guillen to retire from Twitter. I understand why MLB doesn’t want players and managers tweeting during games, but a two-game suspension seems rather absurd relative to, say, the multiple players who’ve received no suspensions following DUI arrests this year.
Guillen is expected to begin serving the suspension tonight against the Orioles.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (110)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)