Apr 29, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
Sean Rodriguez dislocated his left pinkie finger sliding into second base last night and an MRI exam revealed a torn ligament as well, but the Rays infielder told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune that he plans to play through the injury.
Actually, his exact words were: “It ain’t broken.”
Joe Maddon agreed with Rodriguez’s assessment that he probably won’t have to miss any time, so he’ll continue to draw starts at third base and second base.
Rodriguez is hitting just .214 through 21 games, but he has nine extra-base hits and a .464 slugging percentage in 56 at-bats.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)