Apr 29, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT
Francisco Cervelli has been activated from the disabled list, returning to the Yankees after being sidelined since March 2 with a fractured foot.
Cervelli’s injury looked like a tough break for the Yankees at the time because they were uncertain about how Russell Martin would hold up physically early on, but Martin has been healthy and extremely productive so far while hitting .290 with six homers and a .958 OPS in 21 games.
Cervelli will probably see more action behind the plate than fill-in backup Gustavo Molina did, but it likely won’t be more than one or two starts per week as long as Martin keeps playing so well. Martin started 20 of the first 22 games, with Molina drawing his only starts on April 16 and April 26.
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 3
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 15
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29