Apr 30, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates will place reliever Evan Meek on the disabled list with right shoulder weakness.
And really, it’s a wonder they didn’t do this sooner. In addition to his weak shoulder, Meek has been fighting a virus for nearly the entire month of April. It would be thing if he was still effective, but the 27-year-old right-hander has a 5.63 ERA and 8/5 K/BB ratio over eight innings so far this season. With his strength diminished, it’s no surprise that his fastball is down a tick or two (93.4 mph) from last season (95.1 mph).
Meek and Joel Hanrahan were one of the best late-game tandems in the National League last season, so Pirates are hoping some rest will round him back into form.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)