Apr 30, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates will place reliever Evan Meek on the disabled list with right shoulder weakness.
And really, it’s a wonder they didn’t do this sooner. In addition to his weak shoulder, Meek has been fighting a virus for nearly the entire month of April. It would be thing if he was still effective, but the 27-year-old right-hander has a 5.63 ERA and 8/5 K/BB ratio over eight innings so far this season. With his strength diminished, it’s no surprise that his fastball is down a tick or two (93.4 mph) from last season (95.1 mph).
Meek and Joel Hanrahan were one of the best late-game tandems in the National League last season, so Pirates are hoping some rest will round him back into form.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)