Apr 30, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates will place reliever Evan Meek on the disabled list with right shoulder weakness.
And really, it’s a wonder they didn’t do this sooner. In addition to his weak shoulder, Meek has been fighting a virus for nearly the entire month of April. It would be thing if he was still effective, but the 27-year-old right-hander has a 5.63 ERA and 8/5 K/BB ratio over eight innings so far this season. With his strength diminished, it’s no surprise that his fastball is down a tick or two (93.4 mph) from last season (95.1 mph).
Meek and Joel Hanrahan were one of the best late-game tandems in the National League last season, so Pirates are hoping some rest will round him back into form.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)