Apr 30, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates will place reliever Evan Meek on the disabled list with right shoulder weakness.
And really, it’s a wonder they didn’t do this sooner. In addition to his weak shoulder, Meek has been fighting a virus for nearly the entire month of April. It would be thing if he was still effective, but the 27-year-old right-hander has a 5.63 ERA and 8/5 K/BB ratio over eight innings so far this season. With his strength diminished, it’s no surprise that his fastball is down a tick or two (93.4 mph) from last season (95.1 mph).
Meek and Joel Hanrahan were one of the best late-game tandems in the National League last season, so Pirates are hoping some rest will round him back into form.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)