Apr 30, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman, now likely out through mid-June with a torn rectus muscle in his abdomen, probably doesn’t qualify as one of baseball’s top 10 performers just yet, but as far as irreplaceable players go, he’s very near the top.
In Zimmerman’s absence, the Nats have been trying to get by with Jerry Hairston Jr. and Alex Cora at third base. Hairston is currently hitting .220/.316/.300 in 50 at-bats, while Cora is at .139/.205/.167 in 36 at-bats.
Taking just their appearances at third base into account, they’ve combined to hit .228 with one homer, five RBI and five runs scored in 57 at-bats.
And that’s not all the Nationals are losing. Zimmerman is a Gold Glove defender. Hairston and Cora are merely average. Plus, the Nationals are missing out at a second position, since Hairston figured to be make his biggest contribution as a center field against lefties.
The effect of one or two injuries to a team is often overstated by baseball analysts, but losing Zimmerman for a couple of months is a huge blow to a Nationals team that spent big over the winter in order to improve their standing and bring more fans into the ballpark.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)