Apr 30, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman, now likely out through mid-June with a torn rectus muscle in his abdomen, probably doesn’t qualify as one of baseball’s top 10 performers just yet, but as far as irreplaceable players go, he’s very near the top.
In Zimmerman’s absence, the Nats have been trying to get by with Jerry Hairston Jr. and Alex Cora at third base. Hairston is currently hitting .220/.316/.300 in 50 at-bats, while Cora is at .139/.205/.167 in 36 at-bats.
Taking just their appearances at third base into account, they’ve combined to hit .228 with one homer, five RBI and five runs scored in 57 at-bats.
And that’s not all the Nationals are losing. Zimmerman is a Gold Glove defender. Hairston and Cora are merely average. Plus, the Nationals are missing out at a second position, since Hairston figured to be make his biggest contribution as a center field against lefties.
The effect of one or two injuries to a team is often overstated by baseball analysts, but losing Zimmerman for a couple of months is a huge blow to a Nationals team that spent big over the winter in order to improve their standing and bring more fans into the ballpark.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 23
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 54
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 101
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)