Apr 30, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Zimmerman will undergo surgery Tuesday to repair a torn rectus muscle in his abdomen. He will be sidelined for about six weeks, which places his return somewhere around mid-June.
Two sources tell Rosenthal that Zimmerman will out until the All-Star break while another has a more optimistic timetable. Either way, the Nationals will have to get by without their best player for an extended period of time.
1:55 PM: Bad news for the Nationals.
Ryan Zimmerman resumed some baseball activities earlier this week with an eye on a minor league rehab assignment, but it’s safe to say we won’t see him with the Nationals for a while.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington reports that Zimmerman saw another doctor today after his abdominal strain didn’t feel better during recent throwing sessions. Nationals manager Jim Riggleman told Amanda Comack of the Washington Times that “it’s concerning” he hasn’t made progress.
Zimmerman has been sidelined with the abdominal injury since April 9. He batted .357/.486/.536 with one home run and four RBI over his first 37 plate appearances before being placed on the disabled list.
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 0
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 200
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)