Apr 30, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Zimmerman will undergo surgery Tuesday to repair a torn rectus muscle in his abdomen. He will be sidelined for about six weeks, which places his return somewhere around mid-June.
Two sources tell Rosenthal that Zimmerman will out until the All-Star break while another has a more optimistic timetable. Either way, the Nationals will have to get by without their best player for an extended period of time.
1:55 PM: Bad news for the Nationals.
Ryan Zimmerman resumed some baseball activities earlier this week with an eye on a minor league rehab assignment, but it’s safe to say we won’t see him with the Nationals for a while.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington reports that Zimmerman saw another doctor today after his abdominal strain didn’t feel better during recent throwing sessions. Nationals manager Jim Riggleman told Amanda Comack of the Washington Times that “it’s concerning” he hasn’t made progress.
Zimmerman has been sidelined with the abdominal injury since April 9. He batted .357/.486/.536 with one home run and four RBI over his first 37 plate appearances before being placed on the disabled list.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final