Apr 30, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Zimmerman will undergo surgery Tuesday to repair a torn rectus muscle in his abdomen. He will be sidelined for about six weeks, which places his return somewhere around mid-June.
Two sources tell Rosenthal that Zimmerman will out until the All-Star break while another has a more optimistic timetable. Either way, the Nationals will have to get by without their best player for an extended period of time.
1:55 PM: Bad news for the Nationals.
Ryan Zimmerman resumed some baseball activities earlier this week with an eye on a minor league rehab assignment, but it’s safe to say we won’t see him with the Nationals for a while.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington reports that Zimmerman saw another doctor today after his abdominal strain didn’t feel better during recent throwing sessions. Nationals manager Jim Riggleman told Amanda Comack of the Washington Times that “it’s concerning” he hasn’t made progress.
Zimmerman has been sidelined with the abdominal injury since April 9. He batted .357/.486/.536 with one home run and four RBI over his first 37 plate appearances before being placed on the disabled list.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 329
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 66
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 43
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (329)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)