Apr 30, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Zimmerman will undergo surgery Tuesday to repair a torn rectus muscle in his abdomen. He will be sidelined for about six weeks, which places his return somewhere around mid-June.
Two sources tell Rosenthal that Zimmerman will out until the All-Star break while another has a more optimistic timetable. Either way, the Nationals will have to get by without their best player for an extended period of time.
1:55 PM: Bad news for the Nationals.
Ryan Zimmerman resumed some baseball activities earlier this week with an eye on a minor league rehab assignment, but it’s safe to say we won’t see him with the Nationals for a while.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington reports that Zimmerman saw another doctor today after his abdominal strain didn’t feel better during recent throwing sessions. Nationals manager Jim Riggleman told Amanda Comack of the Washington Times that “it’s concerning” he hasn’t made progress.
Zimmerman has been sidelined with the abdominal injury since April 9. He batted .357/.486/.536 with one home run and four RBI over his first 37 plate appearances before being placed on the disabled list.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 0
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)