Smoltz misses cut in first pro golf tourney by 27 strokes

Apr 30, 2011, 8:29 PM EST

smoltz wide AP

Pitching only once every five or six days over the course of a 21-year major league career, right-hander John Smoltz had ample time to develop a pretty outstanding golf game.

Smoltz finally got to put those golf skills in action this weekend at the South Georgia Classic, a tournament on the PGA Nationwide Tour.

The debut did not go well.

From the Associated Press, via ESPN.com, comes word that the 43-year-old Smoltz missed the cut by a whopping 27 strokes. He shot an 84 in his first round and an even more brutal 87 in his second round.

Smoltz wound up with the worst stroke total in the entire 147-player tournament.

The poor showing probably isn’t going to deter the former ace completely, but it should certainly act as a wake-up call. Hitting good golf shots on a lazy Saturday out at the local country club is tough enough as it is. Doing so under the pressure of tournament competition is a different animal altogether.

1. Glenn - Apr 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I think it goes to show how really good pros are at their sports. Any pro athlete is so infinitely better than the rest of us that it is hard to imagine. We see it in baseball each time we laugh at a pitcher looking pathetic at the plate. That same pitcher was probably the best hitter his high school ever saw.

• aceshigh11 - May 1, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Very good points.

2. hep3 - May 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

As the great Bob Jones said back in the 1930’s:

“There is golf and there is tournament golf and they are not related.”

3. ScubaXsniper - May 1, 2011 at 11:39 AM

“It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course.”
    -Hank Aaron

4. Joe - May 2, 2011 at 11:24 AM

How ecstatic would I be to have back-to-back rounds in the 80’s?

I mean, I shoot in the 80’s every time I play, but I always screw it up by playing the last 4-5 holes.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5537)