Apr 30, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval‘s redemption story is temporarily on hold.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Pablo Sandoval has a fractured hamate bone in his hand. The report has been confirmed by Buster Olney of ESPN.com. The injury typically requires surgery and Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that Sandoval will likely be sidelined for 4-6 weeks.
Sandoval worked his butt off to lose nearly 40 pounds during the offseason and it looks like the hard work paid off, as he was batting .313/.374/.530 with five homers and 14 RBI over his first 91 plate appearances this season. While this isn’t a season-ending injury, it will be interesting to see whether his power suffers upon his return.
While the injury is a tough blow, Giants trainer Dave Groeschner told the Associated Press that Sandoval plans to use the time off to get in even better shape.
“The one positive he’s trying to take out of it is that he still wants to lose a few more pounds. And he’s like, ‘That’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to work out.’ He can work out his legs. He can still run,” Groeschner said. “He’s motivated to do that. So this is an opportunity to work on that part. He’s going to have plenty of time, so that’s what we’re going to push.”
If today’s lineup is any indication, the Giants will likely move ahead with Miguel Tejada at third base and Mike Fontenot at shortstop. Emmanuel Burriss, who was recalled from Triple-A Fresno earlier this week, will likely share time with Fontenot.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)