Apr 30, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
The Japanese infielder is still a couple weeks from returning to the Twins’ major league lineup, but he is making steady progress.
Robert Falkoff of MLB.com brings word that Nishioka underwent a round of check-up X-rays on Saturday that showed significant healing.
Here’s Twins assistant trainer Dave Pruemer:
“Nishioka’s X-rays showed good healing. We’re progressing him to more land-based exercises and baseball activities. “The next few days, we’ll see how it goes.”
Nishioka has been taking swings in a batting cage and has played long toss on several occasions, but he is not yet fielding ground balls and is obviously not ready to begin a running program. The infielder posted a .208/.269/.250 batting line, one double and two RBI through his first 26 plate appearances.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (232)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)