May 1, 2011, 7:19 PM EDT
The Red Sox were elusive when it came to details, but they revealed after Sunday’s game that Josh Beckett wouldn’t pitch again until Wednesday at the earliest.
Beckett, who was off to a blazing start this season, didn’t come out with his best stuff when he faced the Orioles on Wednesday, and he ended up allowing four runs in six innings in a no-decision. Speculation is that he’s had trouble bouncing back from his 125-pitch outing against the Angels six days earlier.
The plan is for Beckett to throw a side session on Monday. If he comes out of that OK, then he’ll probably face the Angels on Wednesday. If not, then a DL stint could be lurking, though the Boston Globe declined to raise that possibility in its report.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (113)