May 1, 2011, 7:34 PM EDT
The two players were chasing after a Mark Kotsay pop-fly in the seventh inning of the game against the Brewers. After the collision, Lee remained on the ground in pain for several minutes before being taken off on a cart.
MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart reports that chest X-rays on Lee showed no fracture, but that the results of the CT scan were still pending. Lee is expected to spend the night in the hospital.
Lee hit a three-run homer in the inning before the collision. He’s off to another rough start this year with a .207 average and just five walks in 111 at-bats, but he has managed 18 RBI in 28 games. The Astros have little with which to replace him — they’d probably go with Brian Bogusevic and Jason Bourgeois in left field — so they would miss him if he ends up on the DL.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12