May 1, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
Angels ace Jered Weaver won’t be trying for his seventh win this afternoon in Tampa Bay.
From Angels announcer Victor Rojas comes word that Weaver has been scratched from his scheduled Sunday outing against the Rays due to a flu-like illness. Tyler Chatwood, 21, will slide up the schedule and take the mound in his place.
Weaver has opened the season with six straight decisions — all of them victories — and currently owns a 0.99 ERA and 0.79 WHIP. He has fanned 49 batters in 45 2/3 innings and has walked only 10.
There isn’t a hotter pitcher in the game, but the right-hander will have to put that momentum on hold for a couple of days as he battles a mild virus. As soon as he’s feeling better, the Halos will get him back atop a mound.
Weaver is just the fourth pitcher in major league history to hold a 6-0 record before the start of May.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 8
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)