May 1, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
Angels ace Jered Weaver won’t be trying for his seventh win this afternoon in Tampa Bay.
From Angels announcer Victor Rojas comes word that Weaver has been scratched from his scheduled Sunday outing against the Rays due to a flu-like illness. Tyler Chatwood, 21, will slide up the schedule and take the mound in his place.
Weaver has opened the season with six straight decisions — all of them victories — and currently owns a 0.99 ERA and 0.79 WHIP. He has fanned 49 batters in 45 2/3 innings and has walked only 10.
There isn’t a hotter pitcher in the game, but the right-hander will have to put that momentum on hold for a couple of days as he battles a mild virus. As soon as he’s feeling better, the Halos will get him back atop a mound.
Weaver is just the fourth pitcher in major league history to hold a 6-0 record before the start of May.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)