May 1, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
Angels ace Jered Weaver won’t be trying for his seventh win this afternoon in Tampa Bay.
From Angels announcer Victor Rojas comes word that Weaver has been scratched from his scheduled Sunday outing against the Rays due to a flu-like illness. Tyler Chatwood, 21, will slide up the schedule and take the mound in his place.
Weaver has opened the season with six straight decisions — all of them victories — and currently owns a 0.99 ERA and 0.79 WHIP. He has fanned 49 batters in 45 2/3 innings and has walked only 10.
There isn’t a hotter pitcher in the game, but the right-hander will have to put that momentum on hold for a couple of days as he battles a mild virus. As soon as he’s feeling better, the Halos will get him back atop a mound.
Weaver is just the fourth pitcher in major league history to hold a 6-0 record before the start of May.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)