May 1, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
Angels ace Jered Weaver won’t be trying for his seventh win this afternoon in Tampa Bay.
From Angels announcer Victor Rojas comes word that Weaver has been scratched from his scheduled Sunday outing against the Rays due to a flu-like illness. Tyler Chatwood, 21, will slide up the schedule and take the mound in his place.
Weaver has opened the season with six straight decisions — all of them victories — and currently owns a 0.99 ERA and 0.79 WHIP. He has fanned 49 batters in 45 2/3 innings and has walked only 10.
There isn’t a hotter pitcher in the game, but the right-hander will have to put that momentum on hold for a couple of days as he battles a mild virus. As soon as he’s feeling better, the Halos will get him back atop a mound.
Weaver is just the fourth pitcher in major league history to hold a 6-0 record before the start of May.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20