May 1, 2011, 2:06 PM EDT
Yankees fans, the Kevin Millwood Era is over.
From Shi Davidi of Canada’s Sportsnet comes word that the right-hander officially opted out of his contract with the Yanks on Sunday morning and is now a free agent, clear to sign with any team.
Millwood held out all spring for a guaranteed big league roster spot before finally agreeing to a minor league contract with the Yankees on March 25. He was sent Double-A Trenton initially and was fantastic in his first start, allowing just one hit over seven dominant innings, but he was shelled in two outings after moving on to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
The Yankees informed him Sunday that he was not going to be promoted anytime soon, so Millwood used the May 1 opt out clause in his contract and can now begin searching for a new gig.
Millwood, 36, registered a 5.10 ERA and 1.51 WHIP across 31 starts for the Orioles last season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)